Help

Gifted Education

Depth, Complexity, Content Imperatives

>

lv2share

Depth, Complexity, Content Imperatives
Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have examples of how you've used Sandra Kaplan's ideas to write curriculum for gifted students? I'm wondering how young your students are. I have researched a bit and seen that even primary students at some schools are being taught the icons and terms. I teach gifted K-5 (pull-out) and have used the icons for myself, to ensure that I'm adding depth, etc. but have only actually introduced the terms and icons to my fifth graders as tools to use in their independent studies.

lv2share is offline   Reply With Quote

steph928

Confratute
Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not familiar with this idea, but I am attending Confratute this summer, which some of you might have heard of before. It's weeklong workshops in Connecticut, all focusing on gifted education and it was started by Renzulli and Reis years ago. I was looking over the different workshops that will be offered and there is one on what you are asking about: THE KAPLAN DEPTH AND COMPLEXITY MODEL. I really don't know anything about it and the description says it is for grades K-12. For those who are familiar with it, is this something that I should really try to learn about? I am a first grade teacher. There are so many great choices that I can attend and I would have just skipped right over this one, having not heard of it before, but I remembered reading this post the other day.

Any help at all on the topic would be great!
steph928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kindercowgirl

GT Icons
Old 07-04-2010, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach a GT Kinder class and have introduced a number of icons to them. They really pick them up pretty easily. I often have them writing from another perspective (butterfly vs. caterpillar, Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk), etc. I even did a journal this year I called a Rigor Journal. They had pages with the icons on them and when I read a story for example, they would write about their unanswered ?'s, patterns, big idea, perspective, language of the disciplines. I'm moving with them to 1st Grade and plan on adding at least ethics.
Kindercowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote