Help

Gifted Education

Tutoring a gifted child

>

Katie06

Tutoring a gifted child
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I'm tutoring a gifted rising first grader this summer. She is above grade level in all subjects. She is reading on a second grade level. Does anyone have an idea of a project or activities to do? I'm far better with students that are challenging instead of ones that are above grade level. Any suggestions would be great!

Katie06 is offline   Reply With Quote

April Fools

Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Work with her at the level she is. Try to find a series of chapter books like Junie B. Jones, Weird School, Cam Jansen, The Littles, and Amber Brown that might interest her. Let her draw pictures and then have her write and tell in detail what that picture is about. Develop her higher order thinking skills through questioning. As for math, I would use some math games from the computer that way she will be able to increase levels of difficulty with the push of a button. These are some of the things I am doing this summer with my granddaughter who is going to second grade. I also bought some of the second grade workbooks.
April Fools is offline   Reply With Quote

hayleys_mommy

Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't have anything to add, because I have one of those gifted first graders at home. I can say, however, that she loves The Magic Treehouse series. You could expand on that too. I am going to 'watch' this thread to pick up ideas for my own daughter.
hayleys_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote