Help

The Job Search

In TEARS!!!!!

>

becca2teach

In TEARS!!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got the news this morning that I did not get the 3rd grade position I interviewed for last week........... :-(
I have reached the end of my rope. I am done. I have tried to do all I can. I have networked, made phone calls, sent emails & letters, disks, wikispace, gone and tried to visit in person, etc..... I have only had 2 interviews this summer....out of hundereds of resumes sent out!
I don't care if it's the economy or another teacher w/more experience...the bottom line is I have a degree that is useless, $50k in student loan debt, no job, I can't just "sub" to maybe get my foot in the door...that trick really d/n work anymore anyway b/c I have already done that! I have a baby...daycare is at best $100/week.... and there are not any other jobs avail. in this area that could pay me what I am worth... I would not make enough working min. wage & put my baby in daycare....

I am considering homeschooling my oldest...she's 7 and will be in 2nd grade. I don't know what to do or think anymore???? I am at a loss! My cheefulness, my enthusiasm, my positive attitude are gone!!!! I am blank, empty, void!
I am sorry.... I have nothing left in me...nothing left to say.... I wish y'all more luck than I have had.

becca2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Iluvtoteach2

Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Praying that your situation turns around!
Iluvtoteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

I'm so
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

sorry for you. I know that feeling you are going through. I do know our district doesn't hire teachers until sometimes 1 day before school starts. After all the numbers are in and school has begun, teachers have also been hired 1-2 months into the year as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

mila15

Old 07-23-2010, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry... I understand what you're going through. I have three certifications, LTS experience, my Masters degree... and I'm still jobless after only two interviews this summer. On top of it, my DH will be deploying next year so I can't relocate...

Have you considered taking a pre-kindergarten teaching job? I know around here, the districts operate most of their universal pre-k jobs out of daycares, and you would most likely get a 50% discount on child care for your youngest.

Sending you positive thoughts in this tough time.
mila15 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher.kate

Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm so sorry Becca. I came on hoping to hear good news for you. I know how much it sucks. I have 4 years experience and haven't so much as had an interview!! I have one year old twins, subbing just doesn't work for us!

I really think it will all work out in the end. Everything happens for a reason. KEEP APPLYING! Lots of things open up just before and even just after school starts. Try for Title 1 positions, para positions, LTS positions. Anything to keep you in the loop and networking. It will all work out, I know it will! *hugs* so sorry this one wasn't it for you.

Last edited by teacher.kate; 07-23-2010 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Typos!!
teacher.kate is offline   Reply With Quote

March Baby

I know exactly
Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

how you feel because I have been in that place for 13 years. I am a single mom and I finally was hired as a full time teacher this year. I don't know if the job will be there next year though. It is so discouraging coming up to the start of school each year and not having a classroom. I did daycare until my daughter was in first grade. That was I was able to make some money and I wasn't paying out a fortune in daycare. Once my daughter was school age I was able to work on her schedule. I signed up to sub in three districts so that I could stay busy during the school year and then had many part time jobs to fill in the gaps. It was always a struggle. I wish you luck.
March Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Becca,

I am sorry you are feeling this way. I too have hit this same low. I know how you are feeling, and it isn't a good feeling. I grew up without any direction as how to survive in this word and make a success out of my life. I have worked all my life to move beyond my situation and to make myself a success in my eyes. Not having any connections really has made things difficult for me. I too was told that subbing was the best way to make those connections. I tried subbing and subbing alone...no luck. I prayed on it many times and in March of this past year an answer was sent to me.

One day as I was in the office to return my key and drop off my notes, a fellow sub, who was working in the office that day, asked me if I would care to work for the afterschool program. I thought on it for a second and when she told me I would make $10 and hour I said sure. I filled out the application and turned it in. Little did I know the program had been in desperate need of workers. I later found out that they had, had an extremely high turn over rate all year and were feeling hopeless about making it through the year.

Where am I going with this story? Here....I fell in love with the program. I worked with students, instituted my own rules and expectations. May it clear I cared for the students and I expected the best. Others started noticing. I was asked to teach summer school. From summer school, I received a world of praise. This summer I have been interview for one job that wasn't subbing, and offered a teaching interview with the school. The principal also asked for me to apply to two other spots that would be opening, in case I didn't get the teachin job. She said that I have been loyal to her school and she has heard nothing but wonderful things about me as a sub.

I had chosen to sub and work at this one district...it is a small district and is located all on one campus preschool-12, so my work with each section is seen by all others. She said I have been loyal to them and she would like to see me get something this year that would be best for me and my family, so she wanted me to interview for as many spots as I could besides the teaching spot so I would definitely have something, if not the teaching spot.

So my answer to you is....yes it can feel hopeless. NO, subbing isn't the answer. Try to narrow your focus to a certain number of school buildings and get yourself known. Find another aspect in which you can get yourself noticed. Subs are often over looked and it is very hard to get noticed if that is all you are doing. I urge you to either find another job in the school or try subbing again and perhaps work with the afterschool program or something else that will let you shine as a teacher.

I know how you are feeling...just know it is possible. I may not be teaching next year, but I know I am appreciated and will be working in another aspect than as a sub. I am sorry you have hit that low...it is rough. I pray you get an answer to your troubles like I did.
ClassWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

:(
Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Aww Becca! I was wishing for you. I feel the exact way you do! I so had a nervous breakdown last night... I said all the same things as you.... I tried everything.... and feel my degree is useless. I don't have a baby but a house and bills to pay for. I am empty... sad... everything you said. Even my dh said I am just depressed and he hates seeing me like this. I have three certs, lts experience, and 3 yrs experience... had 2 interviews... and did not get the jobs. Over 300 people applied... it sucks! I have no job right now... except some very sparse part time tutoring hours... which is not helping our debt situation. I can't get unemployment due to stupid rules... I don't know what else to do either.... but everyone keeps telling me..... keep the faith.... so as much as I know its easier to say than to do...Keep the faith Becca!
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

terrid

Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am so, so sorry. Obviously I don't know you, but the impression I get is that you are a positive person who would a breath of fresh air for any school district. But you know, sometimes it's okay to vent. Take as much time as you need to cry and be frustrated. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you get that much anticipated phone call.
terrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonya0581

chin up!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been thinking about you all week! I am so sorry that you didn't get the position! From what I saw on your wikispace, they are a FOOL not to hire you! You have to do your best and keep your head up! What about working in a daycare for the time being? I know they often times get very reduced fees or sometimes even free? Go do something nice for yourself today to get your mind off this job. I mean, I know it;s hard, but your perfect spot is still out there!

Maybe what all of us jobless teachers can do is create our own school! The we all would have jobs

Tonya0581 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonya0581

cabrini6285
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Why can't you get unemployment? I have been for a year now since I was let go of my teaching job at the end of 08/09 school year!
Tonya0581 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

I am so sorry.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I feel your pain. I just found out that not only didn't I get the 3rd grade position in my district, I didn't even get an interiview. I am starting to wonder what is wrong with me. I am wondering how much longer I can do this.

Are you thinking about homeschooling because it's what's best for your daughter or for YOU? Just something to think about.

No platitudes, they won't help. Just know I empathize with you. Good luck with whatever you decision you make regarding your future.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

live2play

Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Becca,

I am so sorry to hear about the 3rd grade job. I really thought I would look on here today and see that you got it. You have such positive energy and I am hoping things will turn around for you. I know exactly what you're feeling (I am also looking with no luck). Just know that I am thinking about you and hope that some school district will open their eyes and see what they are missing in you. Take care.
live2play is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTCHR08

Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Becca,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not get the position. Please don't give up - yet. I know that the district I am in hires at the last minute. I got a position last year the DAY before school started. My position was eliminated due to budget cuts - so I am once again looking for a job.

I know it is HARD to remain positive - but that is what all of us looking for jobs need to do.
FLTCHR08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hasty

Becca
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hang in there. I am sure something will come along for you soon.
Hasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. J.

I'm so sorry friend....
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just got the news I didn't get the job I interviewed for on Wednesday about an hour ago. It is truly heartbreaking and I completely understand. I too feel that the hunt completely consumes your life. I can't understand why good teachers can't get a job, yet ones who don't care are everywhere.

As much as it stinks to have to say this, you just have to keep going and have faith. It hurts right now and I want to give up, but I cannot imagine doing anything else with my life. Teaching truly gives me joy, as I am guessing it does for you also, and we just have to remember that joy to keep us going.
Mrs. J. is offline   Reply With Quote

need2getajob

Sorry to hear the news
Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I really am. The PPs have said many kind things and I don't know that I can really add anything.
Take the time to feel bad. Know that there are many of us out here who are thinking of you.
Who knows what will happen in the tomorrows to come. Sometimes the best things happen when we least expect it!!
need2getajob is offline   Reply With Quote

vickia

Becca
Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS! !!!!))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ) It really is a grieving process we go through when we're in this situation. Take time for you and your children. Get into a hobby, not school related if possible. Then when middle to late August arrives, take a deep breath. When you have rested see how your situation looks then. The closer it gets to school starting the more openings there will be. I know that doesn't help you now. Whenever it rains, there will be a rainbow even if we can't see it.

Enjoy your rest - you deserve it. Thank you for being such a positive influence on countless people here. This is a great group of caring people here. We're only a keyboard away.

Vicki
vickia is offline   Reply With Quote

Morning Star

Hugs for you...
Old 07-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Sweetie, I am sorry that you received such discouraging news. I know that it totally sucks right now, but please don't give up, especially after all of your hard work. I think we are all feeling an enormous amount of pressure because it is the end of July, but we can't lose hope that our jobs are out there.

I don't know who I am trying to cheer up... you or me.
Morning Star is offline   Reply With Quote

yanna08

I know the feeling!!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am a special education teacher with 5 years experience. I live in GA. I have been seeing various vacancies opening up throughout the metro ATL area and only received two interviews. One was part-time and the other is for an elementary school this Wednesday. It is really bad when I am already thinking that I may not get the job. I need help bad! I need something to lift my spirits. I am going to be praying and believing so that this Wed, I can be more excited about the interview. Education right now is very frustrating!
yanna08 is offline   Reply With Quote

krika71

Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am so sorry to hear that. I, too, went through hard times, but I have learned that "God works in mysterious ways!" Keep your chin up and have faith.

Krika
krika71 is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Oh no! I am so sorry! You really deserve a job! I've been reading your posts and you have been motivated, enthusiastic and working hard to put yourself out there. Lots and lots of hugs!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

I Can't Believe It!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

You are THE most positive and encouraging person on PT, so I know you are down, down, down. I am so sorry. You, of all people, deserve to get a job!

Take a few days to cry, scream, shout, curse, and mourn and then you'll feel better. I'll be thinking about you.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

tdw10

Old 07-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I am so sorry! I am job searching right now and I will be a fourth year teacher this fall (if I can find a job). I have been on two interviews and driving around passing out resumes and calling schools in my area. I have been stressed, can't sleep, and depressed. My husband feels so bad for me that I make him depressed. I know that we all are great teachers and God has something for us with our name on it. I had to face the reality that I might not find a job this 2010/2011 school year. I wish all of us the best of luck and may God bless you. It's hard and I am a true witness to it.
tdw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
tscmmm453

tscmmm453

where are you?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I know of a job opening outside Houston teaching elementary (2nd grade). Are you in TX?