The Job Search

Do I take the job??!!

>

Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Do I take the job??!!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been working as a secretary for 5 years since I didn't get a teaching job right out of university. I am really unfulfilled and have been applying to teach again. I had an interview but it's for a job that's really far away. I have a feeling it will be offered to me. There are so many reasons I should take it. It could be my chance to get into a different career. But at the same time, I'm terrified of having to move so far away. I don't know anyone in the community. It's really isolated. On the other hand, the pay would be great, but it's only temporary to the end of the school year. The I would be out of a job. I am so confused, and scared. Any advice?

drea

drea

my opinion
Old 01-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If the job is only temporary then I suggest that you don't accept. Because you will be throwing away a sure salary for unsure salary. Also, you have to move. If the position was permanent then I would suggest go for the opportunity. You would feel scared because you did not go into teaching right away, but what you have learnt no one can take away from you. Think about the long term benefits..don't go for the quick fix.

kristen_teach

Old 01-15-2006, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is it definately a temporary job? Or is there a chance your contract might be renewed?

I agree with the above poster- if it is just temp. stay where you are and keep looking. It costs to move and it is hard to try to meet new people- especially if you know you aren't going to be there very long.

But if you think you might have a chance to be renewed and stay, go for it. It would give you experience and see what you really like.
kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

SubforNow

Agree with drea
Old 01-15-2006, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally agree with drea. You have a guaranteed salary now, and the temp job is only for a few months. If it were a permanent job, I would take it. The temp job isn't worth it.
SubforNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sarah 11

Sarah 11

go for it!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think I am the only one who would disagree with what everyone else has said. I think you should go for it. At this point in time, you have no clue if it is temporary or if it is permanent. My first teaching job was in an isolated community VERY far away from my family. My mom always joked that I was teaching near the end of the world. My position was only temporary also, but I worked so hard, that the school where I was teaching offered me a job AND another school within the division. I ended up being in the isolated community for only 6 months and have been teaching ever since. I have been teaching now for 11 years and would NEVER have had the opportunities I had if I had not taken the job.

I think for me, the key thing from your post is the work "unfulfilled". If you are unhappy with the secretary position you are in, take the teaching job. You can always find another secretary position if need be.

Best of luck in your decision!