Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Time-out

>

teacher24

Time-out
Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you teach time out in your classrooms?

Do you call it time out, or do you have another name for it? (I am trying to think of a different name for it, but can't come up with one)

How do you teach the children who are not in time out to not talk with the one who is?

What does your time-out area look like?

When do you send students to time out?

Do you teach children to know when they need a time out? How do you do this?

How do you not forget to remove a child from time out? (I am embarassed to admit that I have forgotten that I sent students to time out)

How can time-out be implemented alongside the clip chart?

Sorry for all the questions...I am just trying to get a clearer picture of this so that I can improve it in my classroom.

teacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

fredflintston

Old 08-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I call my the "Better Choice Chair." It's by my desk so it's not too close to where any children are likely to talk to the child who is thinking about his choices. Constantly reinforcing that you are not allowed to talk to someone who is thinking about their choices is a must. Mine is simply a chair with a sign on it and there is nothing interesting within reach but at the same time it has a clear view of all the friends who are playing in the classroom so they can see what they are missing out on.
fredflintston is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

time out
Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't utilize time out per say. If a child is being disrespectuful or having particular issues, I'll usually say, "Time to take a break cupcake." It's not necessarily a punishment, but rather a tool to learn self-regulation. When this has been modeled a few times, kids will want to "take a break" all on their own. This can mean going somewhere in the classroom away from a situation, or in the reading loft. Obviously if a child is being physically aggressive I'll remove them myself, but I can honestly say that does not happen often. Watch, now I've probably jinxed myself for this school year!
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

love2BTeacher

time-outs
Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like what fredflintston said about calling a better-choice chair. I don't have a special chair for this, I just tend to pull out any chair that is near. I haven't found that the other children try to talk to the student in the "chair" so I haven't ran into that one yet, but I do always ask the children what did they do to choose to sit in my chair and what can they chose to do next time.

I also use a kitchen timer, so the student know when they are done.
love2BTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher24

Old 08-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thanks everyone. I also like the better choice chair...i am also thinking about calling it a thinking chair...

very helpful info! Yay!

teacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmangel

Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a timer on my counter at all times, so I set it whenever I have a child sitting out. My theme this year for my classroom will be camping so I think I will call the chair the thinking camp chair.
kmangel is offline   Reply With Quote

mila15

Safe Spot
Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I saw this mentioned on another website and I liked the idea of it. Here is a sign I modeled after the one I saw.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Safe Spot.docx (199.1 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by mila15; 08-14-2010 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: attachment
mila15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Blue Crayola

Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my classroom, we have a red chair that we call our time out chair. Time out is just that, time out.

The red chair is by the teacher's area so it's not too close to where any children are likely to talk to the child who is thinking about his choices. We constantly reinforce that they're not allowed to talk to someone who is thinking about what he or she did and why their choice was a poor choice.

The children are never sent to time out just to be sent to time out. They only get sent there after they've been told 2 or 3 times to stop whatever it was they were doing and simply won't comply with our wishes. Children usually sit in time out for 2 to 5 minutes. A timer is generally used so they know when they can go back to playing, circle time, crafts or recess but before they go back they usually receive a warning that further time out will result in their parent or parents being spoken to at the end of the day.

By the way, I like the name "Better Choice Chair". "Thinking Chair" is good too!
Blue Crayola is offline   Reply With Quote

Oboemom

Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a chair away from the main activity area of the classroom. I like to call it the "chill chair". I laminated a picture of a cartoon penguin sitting on an ice cube and taped it to the back of the chair. The kids are much more agreeable to taking a few minutes to chill rather than going to time out. I have 4 and 5 year olds and set a kitchen timer for 4 minutes. If they happen to be a fidgety child, I have a basket with scrap paper for them to tear. Otherwise, they just sit quietly until the timer rings.
Oboemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Blue Crayola

Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like the sound of "Chill Chair" too.

Blue Crayola is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPreschool

Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have them sit in a chair too! Not a specific chair. I'll say "do you need to sit in a chair?" Usually, that question in itself solves the problem. Except at the beginning of the year when they think I'm offering something good.

My theory about the "chair" is that there is always a chair wherever we go in the school, rather than it being a specific time out chair only in the classroom.
MrsPreschool is offline   Reply With Quote