Help

ESL/LEP

Advice for Starting a Program

>

tinemorp

Advice for Starting a Program
Old 08-04-2010, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher and will be working at a small K-8 charter school this year. The school has been around for about 10 years, but I will be the first ELL teacher. I will be responsible for setting up the whole ELL program. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what materials I should purchase. I only have about $1000. I was thinking of buying some book sets for guided reading, but I don't think $1000 will get me very far. Any ideas? I've looked at readinga-z.com, and I'm thinking of getting a subscription. Has anyone used that site? I also personally own the Words Their Way series. I would appreciate any help and recommendations of curiculum. Thanks! Anna

tinemorp is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

ideas
Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reading a-z is an excellent idea. I copy books and send them home with students to re-read. Then you would not have to purchase guided reading sets. Since I am not back to work yet i don't have access to some of the publishers I use. I know Pearson is a big one and that is the only one I remember. I like a company that publishes social studies and science books at 3 different reading level and go no higher than a 3rd grade reading level.
Do you know how many students you will have?
What state are you in?
Words their Way is great for reading, writing, spelling and vocabulary. They can make their own books by writing and illustrating using the words they are given. I also use abcteach and edhelper to supplement and do different lessons than the classroom teachers. You have to subscribe to both.
I have made tons of Power Point Presentations to help children see what they may not be able to read and understand yet. I don't know if your school uses Smart Board or something like that because that is a powerful tool also.

Will you be pulling kids out? If so, it might help to group them by language profiicency levels at first just to get them going. Then, older students will advance more rapidly and you'll have to change things around.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

Wednesday

Radical thought about spending $1,000-00
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Anna,
Can't emphasise enough the importance of Oral, Oral, Oral - Listening and Speaking, Listening and Speaking- even for the higher ability. How about going to a school resource/supply shop and thinking about objects, games, figures that would generate discussion, ideas, develop concepts, through use of language? You can still get your Writing out of those interactions.

Keep half of your money to spend on higher level ability students - you might be surprised what they can do and you can structure with some of the 'lower level' resources. As the program develops, you will be in a better position to choose/find further resources.

Don't know what a Charter school is, but if families are unable to contribute items (plate, toy, dress-ups, fancy stationery) approach an Op Shop (charity shop which has items at very low prices - often run by a church) for some donations of items to supplement your $1,000-00.

If you are approaching Reading through a process, the materials are mostly irrelevant - I am sure you are capable of choosing appropriate materials from Newspapers, magazines, pamphlets (all free!).

Last edited by Wednesday; 08-23-2010 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: ambiguous sentences
Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote