Help

Fifth Grade

Discipline Letters

>

WSU10

Discipline Letters
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first year of teaching. I know the importance of sending a discipline plan home for parents to see so there won't be any shockers if little Timmy decides to punch Jenny for taking his protractor during math time and he gets sent to the office and a call is made home. I have a rough outline of what my classroom rules are, only 4 or 5 and they go hand in hand with the school's rules. I also have a policy in place for late homework and ADD math assignments.

I just have an outline typed up now, what type of paragraph do you write as a precursor to the outlining of the policies. I intend to have the parent, student, and myself sign and then I will file it for the year. I don't want to send home just an outline, what do I type up with the rules. I haven't met with any of the other teachers I am working with. I am teaching 4th math/reading in one school and 5th math/reading in another tentatively, but my assignment is likely to switch to full time 5th so this will have to be interchangeable until I hear anything.

Also, I am the director/head of an after school program focused on raising math and reading scores for 3rd-8th grade students. Does anyone have a similar experience or types for leading such a program?

Thank you for making this transition from college student to classroom teacher so much easier. I'd be lost without this site. Thank you.

WSU10 is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

anything sent home....
Old 08-27-2010, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just keep it very very simple.

Just write a sentence or two then use bullet points or some kind of chart to show rules and consequences. That's good that you only have a small handful of rules.

I do not have experience with a math program like you mentioned, however I have been involved with "state testing camps" (after school remediation). We have always done this "centers style". This can be done with several teachers (rotate kids through rooms) or just one teacher (rotate kids through stations). I would recommend having one station be computer based, if you can. You could also do some mad minutes (drill on basic facts) with everyone before you start rotations.

Perhaps you might be interested in Mountain Math if the teachers aren't already using it. It's a $75 investment, but can be used all year and for many years to come. It provides a great spiral review and you can customize it to fit your student's needs. I'd recommend ordering the set one grade level below the one you are teaching. Just google it... you can order it online. I display mine in 2 large pocket charts, but I have also just used a bulletin board before, and there are other ways to do it as well.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

Discipline Policy
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here's mine.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Discipline Policy.doc (100.5 KB, 137 views)
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote