Fifth Grade

Help! Prentice Hall Science

>

calicocookie

Help! Prentice Hall Science
Old 08-29-2010, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I have no teacher's edition or any supporting materials, projects, or extras to start teaching science. I have never taught it before. We are using Prentice Hall and it consists of three books-one for animals, one for astronomy and one for electricity/magnetism. Any suggestions of how to begin? Any site suggestions?

calicocookie is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

help?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district uses Houghton Mifflin. I'm attaching some things from my student teacher of a couple of years ago. Doubt much, if any, will be of help.

I'm sure others will respond with better suggestions, but I'd start the class on interactive notes. For each unit, develop a vocabulary list (the text probably does that for you) and then look at the first chapter. Have the students do some reading and answer questions similar to attached, but otherwise, develop interactive lessons: drawings, acrostics, matching type games, silly advertisements, newspaper headlines, A Day in the Life of . . . , cartoons, Dear Abby, Venns, new words to common songs (Jingle Bells, It's a Small World, The Wheels on the Bus, etc.) "picnic" type games (first person states a fact; next person states that fact and adds another; third person repeats those two facts and adds a third, etc.) and more.

I'd probably start with animals and there have been several "Animal Report" formats posted on this site. Someone will surely give you help for that. But that would come after they have a good basis for writing one and that is where the interactive notes would come in.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Science Solar System.doc (165.0 KB, 26 views)
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

forgot
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I meant to tell you about biologycorner.com

My student teacher found LOTS of demonstrations and experiments on that site. Awesome.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

lecmt

Tackling a science curriculum
Old 08-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The suggestion that was made about notes, vocabulary, Venn diagrams is good. These things can be helpful to provide an overview, which then makes it easier to follow through in any depth. I've taught science at many grade levels and always started by teaching my students how to do a formal outline. They divide up the chapter sections and include the vocabulary within the context. The outline forces them to do the reading, which is then covered again in class with regular teaching/lab/illustration/demonstration time. I think the most important thing if you are teaching science is to, as a teacher, know the overview of your curriculum for the year. This makes it easier to group concepts in a more meaningful way. For example, will you start with life science, then gravitate toward earth science, and end up with the physical science areas? Many of the concepts will overlap, but there are also some distinct areas, such as physical science, that can get very complex and will have a very different vocabulary as well. (Don't be afraid to cross curriculum areas to show relevancy and similarities.) If you know your group, you may want to address the easier concepts first, then gravitate toward the more complex. At any rate, take them a step at a time, because some kids have pre-conceived anxiety about science. Make it fun, and do lots of discovery/hands-on activities. Your own enthusiasm will be catchy. Yay science! Good luck.
lecmt is offline   Reply With Quote

lecmt

...more about tackling science
Old 08-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I now am using Harcourt, but used Macmillan-McGraw Hill and Prentice Hall before.
The Prentice Hall tends to be high end and therefore "teacher" friendly, with much more content, and some teachers prefer it but have to adapt it down for their students. The Macmillan-McGraw Hill and Harcourt have similar formats, which make for an easier transition if other grades are using the same publisher, but Harcourt seems to be a bit
easier for students to read. The excitement of science though is not achieved by keeping their noses in the book, but by experiencing it. A couple of good projects or experiments are much better learning tools and they will remember them better than chapter work. If you check your text there is usually an online site from the publisher for help with the series and even test-making instruments.

lecmt is offline   Reply With Quote

calicocookie

Thank you for grounding me!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was a little freaked out by the fact that I haven't taught fifth grade science before. I have taught fifth grade astronomy though. The fact that I have no materials was making me panicky but your post reminded me that I do know how to do an interactive notebook. I have one student copy so I will use that as a starting point and have the kids make a fold-out of the structure and drawings of the basic functions,etc. The rest will fall into place.

The site you mention is good. I ran across it earlier today and I pulled some good free stuff off of the aims site.

I have of course looked at the publisher site but without a password there isn't much I can get off there.
calicocookie is offline   Reply With Quote