Help

Fifth Grade

1st Year of Teaching

>

WSU10

1st Year of Teaching
Old 08-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am entering my first year of teaching after getting my first job right out of college, big relief. However, I have a very difficult job for a new teacher. In the morning I am to teach 4th grade math and reading at the main elementary school, I then travel to the junior high/elementary school to teach 5th grade math and reading in the afternoon. Last week I was told that I may become a full-time 5th grade teacher, so I am keeping my hopes up that that will happen this week as we are starting our inservice/workshops tomorrow.

I have been reading this site a lot and searching online for a lot of tips/ideas for the first day, how to develop my discipline plan, and overall how to adjust to the start of a year. I haven't been able to meet many of the other teachers, or see test scores for my students. This is a big concern for me because I don't know what/how other teachers teach the content, any programs they use, any tips they have for certain subjects or how to deal with some of the students. I also don't know what they go through on the first day, if they switch, what they discuss, activities that go on.

The real purpose for this post is to ask for any advice you have for a new teacher. What have you found that works best for teaching reading? Language Arts/Grammar? Spelling? Math? What programs do you use for any of the subjects. So far I plan on using ADD Math to start my math lessons. I also plan to do some daily language work just so the subject isn't forgotten about completely.

Any advice or tips would help ease the anxiety that is developing now that I am nearing 1 week until I start my very first year of teaching.

Thank you!!!!

WSU10 is offline   Reply With Quote

aquatic

Congrats!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations on getting a job!! You must be so excited The first week of school always tends to cause anxiety before you start, but once the first day has begun and you see all of those eager faces, you will feel less nervous. As you begin your teaching career, you will probably find that you will try a bunch of different teaching techniques. You will keep the ones that work, and forget about or tweak the ones that don't work so well. When I first started teaching, I thought that I needed to do everything perfectly the first time. Don't think that!! You are allowed to make mistakes...when you learn from them, that's what makes a good teacher.

As far as teaching reading is concerned, I use what I call "menus" (I found the idea on PT). I break up my students into different reading abilities and give them a menu with different activities to complete individually while I work with small groups. I always read the story of the week with my struggling readers so that I can make sure that they understand the story while my higher readers read by themselves and begin working on their menu. After the first day of reading, then I work with all of the groups that I have created to conduct mini lessons with them. During this time the groups that I am not working with are working either independently or with one partner. I have been teaching reading this way for the past 2 years and have found that my students perform better on the state test, so I'm pretty sure I can attribute their success to being taught in small groups.

Good luck this year and check this site often for new ideas. The teachers on this website are amazing and I have found so many great ideas here!!
aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

Aquatic, I love all your advice and am
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

interested in your "menus" you use. Do they have anything to do with the Daily 5? I have been reading on here about the D5 and just finished reading the book. I would love to set up "menus" where kids work on different activities so I can work with small groups. I would love to see what you do. Thanks!
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

aquatic

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will attach a copy of one of the menus that I use during class. I usually make 3 of them (advanced, on level, and below level) but the students don't know which one they have. I just tell them that they have different menus and they usually don't question it. My menus have nothing to do with Daily 5 (I don't know what that is). I use the information from the basal reader and the practice book and leveled readers that go along with it. Hope you will find this useful!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Eye of the Storm advanced menu.doc (21.5 KB, 78 views)
aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

acquatic's response
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You got the best possible advice from acquatic, but I would like to add this. Once in a while, do something ALL CLASS, and occasionally mix up the groups for a one time lesson (perhaps for a short story) that virtually anyone can handle. The lower readers NEED to hear better readers read!!! In addition, from my experience I can tell you that the better readers will come up with ideas for helping the lower readers that you will not think of. They're kids too, I guess is the reason.

And the best advice I can give is - have fun. The kids will respond in kind. You'll find your "style" and it might not be the first thing you try.

ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote