Help

Fifth Grade

Help w/ math instruction

>

journeyteach

Help w/ math instruction
Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I am new to this group. I've taught for 16 years but am teaching 5th grade math and science for the first time. I am looking for different strategies to use that utilizes differentiation. Also I am looking for new strategies to teach math more effectively. I use a lot of group work already, but any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!!

Last edited by journeyteach; 08-29-2010 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: changing subject
journeyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

Old 08-30-2010, 03:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would love to have a job like yours!!

You could do centers once a week and rotate through 3 or 4 math/science activities. How long is your block? I'd count on each station being 20 minutes minimum. You could do two centers on one day and two centers the next if you need to. All the kids don't necessarily need to be doing the same thing or the same thing in the same way at the centers.

You could have struggling readers listen to the text book chapter you are currently doing on tape so they can hear it a second time. Meanwhile, other kids could be reading a trade book on the same subject and writing some kind of outline or summary for it. Another center could be vocabulary. You could assign the low kids/esl the most basic words. Your high achievers could use words on the topic that weren't even in their text to extend their learning.

You could have little hands on experiments at one center. This is great because you only need one set of materials instead of enough for 6 groups or so. You can have different directions for high/low... maybe expect more in terms of the scientific method/measurement for the high group while the low focuses on the topic at hand and doesn't have to infer as much.

Otherwise, in math..... you can do mad minutes for a while in the beginning of the year. Some students will "graduate" and others will need more time. You could have the higher level students administer the mad minutes to the lower ones...keep track of time and help them check their work after by reading off correct answers. You could even separate who needs what into different groups - maybe you have one group focusing on the 7s, 8s, 9s while another needs practice on ALL the basic facts. You can make customizable mad minutes at this site: http://mrsbogucki.com/aemes/resource/apps/madmath/default.htm Last year, I had my students chart their own progress by graphing how many items they got correct each day that we did one. This year, I think I'm going to remove one of the factors and have them find the missing factor w/ basic facts since algebra is becoming more of a focus.

You can simplify word problems (even set them up for the student) for the struggling kids if word problems is not the focus. Or, provide them with some kind of chart of clue words that will help them figure out the operation. You can allow them to use a mult chart on classwork and homework, quizzes, etc.

For your kids that really struggle, you could give them a math buddy when you are doing classroom practice... just someone that will encourage them to look back at the notes and coach them to remember all the steps. Everyone could probably benefit from that!
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

journeyteach

math help
Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for all of the ideas. Sometimes it helps to have all of these ideas reiterated. I will start slow but will definitely implement them.
journeyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Teaching Reform Math and probem solving
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach math through constructivist math, which is a problem solving based approach to mathematics. I start with a small 10 to 15 minutes minilesson to work on computation strategies, then give students a contextual problem which they solve in partners and then we discuss as a congress sharing and debating strategies together. I am more of a facilitator then a teacher, questioning students as they go, debating, arguing. If you want I recommend reading Catherine Fosnot's books, easy read and really sets up reform math. She has three books, addition, multiplication and fractions. good luck. oh I teach science this way, but through experiments and then discussion
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

msrafuse

Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Check out Beth Newingham's site. She has a great page all about how she runs her math workshop. I am doing it this year so that I can differentiate better, and so far it has been awesome!! Good luck!

msrafuse is offline   Reply With Quote