Help

Fifth Grade

Native Americans

>

5th

Native Americans
Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're learning about Native Americans in Social Studies. Does anyone have any creative ways to teach about them?

5th is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetmilker

Organizer
Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As we read about each Native American tribe in our textbook, we take notes on them. I've attached the organizer I've used the past few years. The kids really enjoy having all of the information about all of the tribes in one place and it makes it much less confusing. I also add some coloring pages in the packet which they seem to like. I let the kids use the graphic organizer on the test, but I don't tell them until midway through the test so they study the night before and try to answer the questions on the test.
Attached Files
File Type: doc N.A. packet.doc (31.0 KB, 202 views)
sweetmilker is offline   Reply With Quote

MegO

Sign of the Beaver
Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use the book "Sign of the Beaver" as a class novel. It incorporates reading and social studies. I also bring in Native American games that are discussed in the book and the kids love playing them. At the end of the book, students get into groups and create their own Native American games and write directions.
MegO is offline   Reply With Quote

MegO

Sign of the Beaver
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use the book "Sign of the Beaver" as a class novel. It incorporates reading and social studies. I also bring in Native American games that are discussed in the book and the kids love playing them. At the end of the book, students get into groups and create their own Native American games and write directions.
MegO is offline   Reply With Quote

ajohns17

Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I created a choice board of activities for the students that go with our text. I have 9 and they must choice 2 others besides the one 1 require.

Required: make a campaign poster for an Iroquois Chief. They must include 7 facts that would make them a good leader.

Choice: write a letter to a nomadic or plains tribe asking for membership; they must include why they would be a good fit for the community.

Choice: make a Venn diagram comparing the Makah and Inuit tribes.

Choice: make a skit of "A day in the life of a Pueblo Native American"

Choice: create a poster depicting life as a Great Plains Native American.

Choice: research information about the types of symbols and images that Native Americans put on their totem poles and the meaning behind them. They create a poster or a power point explaining what they learned.

Choice: write a paper comparing and contrasting the different types of tribes in regards to how they eat, collect food, their homes and lifestyles.

Choice: make a time line (however, I use the chapter on the appearance of people in North America for this).

ajohns17 is offline   Reply With Quote