Help

Fifth Grade

Teaching math

>

Tulips

Teaching math
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went to a math training today. I learned several ways to do greater multiplication and long division. I was told that only California, Texas, and Florida are still doing the old conventional way of long division (that is, divide, multiply, subtract, bring down). Is that true? I had heard of other ways to do long division but thought only a few places here and there were doing it differently. How do you teach long division and multiplication?

Tulips

Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

TheSuperVero

Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in CA and that indeed is the way we teach long division. We use Harcourt math text books, I believe we even have the newest edition. We just got them last year. Can a teacher from another state elaborate if they teach this in another style?
TheSuperVero is offline   Reply With Quote

Book_Lover

Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I answered on the busy board, but I'll reply here too. I teach it the old fashioned way in Georgia.
Book_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in CA. I teach it the old way...which is how I was taught to do it as well. Can you explain how you teach it?
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

Carrie in WV

Here in WV
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

we estimate, divide, multiply, subtract, compare, bring down...

Carrie in WV is offline   Reply With Quote

Carrie in WV

I've used
Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

lattice multiplication, but I teach the "old-fashioned" way first, and then offer an alternative.
Carrie in WV is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachbyGrace

Ma
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We use Houghton Mifflin in my district in Massachusetts and I still teach the old way! I think in college we did go over other ways to teach it but our curriculum still teaches it the old way and I think its less confusing for many of the kids!
TeachbyGrace is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

Va
Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i use the old way too
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

skhan

new math
Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi, I teach in Canada, Province of Manitoba. For years now, Math has gone through a complete change in HOW we teach number sense to children. It's about making it meaningful for them.

Check out books written by Marion Small- Big Ideas from Dr. Small

I think there is another one called Making Math more Meaningul.- I think it's by Van De Walle, but I may be mistaken.. It really opens up your eyes to how math can be understood.

You'll be surprised HOW math - multiplication and division are now being taught..
skhan is offline   Reply With Quote

msrafuse

Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm in Missouri and do it the old way. I think that's pretty crazy that someone is generalizing that whole states are teaching a concept the same way. Teachers in the same school...let alone states...teach things differently!

I look forward to learning new ways though! Thanks for sharing.

msrafuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

new math
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Here is a slideshow showing the "Partial Quotient" method of long division. I actually liked it, but wondered if I teach it this year, will there be anyone who could help them with it next year if needed. The presenter demonstrated this method to us using base ten blocks to represent the number and showed how it was related to the division. The pictures made it easier for me to understand, but we'll see if it's still Greek to the kids.

http://www.slideshare.net/guestb30cd4/partial-quotients

The multiplication methods are called "Partial Products" or the "Area Method." I liked this one better, but it is more involved than the regular method, IMO. I'll probably teach both and then let them pick.

It's interesting that the presenter is under the impression that the rest of the country is using alternative logrithms and not the old methods. I wonder who told her that...

Thanks for all of the responses! I love hearing what others are doing.

Tulips

I couldn't find a good site that showed the multiplication like she did. If I find one, or create something, I'll post it here.
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

Rumagereader

lattice and partial quotients
Old 09-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have taught both lattice multiplication and partial quotients for division. We also teach the traditional algorithims and let the students find the method that makes the most sense for them--and helps them understand what to do. Many times the kids use the new ways until they are pretty good at it and then may switch to the traditional ways.

Partial quotient is great for division because if kids don't know their multiplication facts as well, they can still successfully solve the problem, and it does use number sense like powers of 10 and how to estimate. Lattice has been especially great for some SPED kids, and those kids that can't easily do the mental math of carrying and adding mentally while multiplying--it splits the two actions--multiplication and then adding. Some still believe that there is only the "right" way to do it, but I feel if a kid can solve it and get the right answer, how is not important.
Rumagereader is offline   Reply With Quote

MAteach

Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use Everyday Math as well. I used to teach all of the different methods, but I've found that it just confuses the kids and then they haven't mastered any way. I just teach the traditional method. However, if they are used to doing lattice multiplication etc. from the previous year, they can still use it.
MAteach is offline   Reply With Quote

pet5

long division
Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm in Wisconsin and some schools teach the alternative ways, but at the school where I teach we teach the old way. If a students struggles an alternative may be used as a strategy, but not often.
pet5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I do not like the way we teach math. We use several different methoods to confuse our kids. I know it sounds harsh, but we teach so many alternative that most kids struggle to solve simple problems. Michigan
1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote

whipper snap

Everyday Math
Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't know about the rest of Montana, but in my district we are supposed to teach a variety of ways to do multiplication and division. Some of the teachers in my building, including myself, don't teach ALL ways because it can be very confusing for students. The 4th grade teachers teach both the lattice and partial products method for multiplication and the partial products method for division. I think that this works very well for a starting point. When I taught special ed, the lattice and partial quotients methods seemed to work best for my students. Now that I am in a 5th, I start out the year reviewing multiplication by doing both methods side by side and having students compare and contrast. Through discussion they start to see that paying attention to place value is THE most important aspect of doing multiplication. As the year goes on, I continue the side by side and then when they are ready, I teach the old-fashioned way of multiplying. I show them that generally, it is much faster. Around March, I only let them do the old-fashioned way unless they are special ed and then I let them continue the lattice method.

For division, I use a similar method starting with the partial quotients way and analyzing it with the old fashioned way side by side. When we start dividing by decimals, I require that everyone do the old fashioned way because I think the partial quotients way is too confusing with decimals. In 6th grade, they can only use the old fashioned way.
whipper snap is offline   Reply With Quote

WSU10

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

In Minnesota. I plan on teaching the old way. I haven't heard of any other method for teaching long division. One of my first activities on the first day will have some long division with it.
WSU10 is offline   Reply With Quote