Fifth Grade

Over a month in....

>

Jen in AZ

Jen in AZ

Over a month in....
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

And I can't seem to get through a lesson (sometimes a sentence) without some sort of interruption, situation, problem or attention getting behavior. I have taught a dozen years and spent the majority in 5th and never had such a difficult group of kids. Last year I couldn't say enough about how wonderful my class was. Hope I didn't jinx myself.

I am falling behind, not getting all my plans in and having to restructure how I run the language arts period (used to do centers but some just cannot handle the independence). Not sure what advice might help me or if I just need to vent! On one hand I try to put things in perspective as clearly this is not a typical year. But I also feel like so many teachers who get hard on themselves when things aren't going well. The hardest part is seeing those who want to learn and contribute get frustrated or miss out on more meaningful instruction.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Jennifer

sassymollasi

Me too!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught for 14 years and this is one chatty group. Take the time to analyze, often it seems like the whole class is crazy, but when analyze the group, you realize it is a very few students who are creating problems for all the rest. I have moved one or two out of table groups and it has made a world of difference, by-the-way, I call it Voting them off the Island, so it at least gets a laugh.

Good luck.. VENT all you need!
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote