Help

Fifth Grade

managing response journals

>

buddy10

managing response journals
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It has been a number of years since I have had students complete reader response journals for their reading. I have 36 students this year and would like to bring the idea back but is it manageable with evaluating all the other subjects times 36 too? I am thinking of just collecting 6-7 a day but do not want to be overwhelmed or bombarded. Any suggestions or successful tips for using RR in the classroom.

buddy10 is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

What I do
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I got this idea from Fountas & Pinnell.

I break up my kids into five groups. Each group will be a different color. One group will be red, so I put a small red sticker on the front cover of their journal. Another group is orange, so they get an orange sticker. The other groups are yellow, green, and blue. I do this so I only have to respond to a small group of journals rather than the entire class each time. That would put me over the edge, I think!

I attached the sign I put on my reading wall. This helps the kids remember which day they need to turn their journal in.

Oh! I always tell them they can work on their letter to me earlier than the actual day it's due, so they can get a jump start on the letter, but that I don't want it turned in until it's their day.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reading_Journal_Schedule.pdf (189.9 KB, 346 views)
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

response journals
Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been doing this for a number of years, but have never tried just collecting a few per day. I have 22 students this year, so I'm not sure that it's absolutely necessary, but it might keep the stress down a bit if I just do a few per day.

Thanks for the schedule... I've saved it and I might end up using it. I think I'd have a hard time remembering whose is due what day, so I'd have to hang up a sign or something. HEY spontaneous idea!!! I could use different colored target pocket charts w/ the kids names in them for this!

How exactly do you guys do yours? Do they just react to the story or summarize also? How many responses per week to you have the kids do? Do they have to respond to something specific or is it free-choice? Do you guys keep the response journals in a file once they are complete or do you return them to the students? Do you expect the students to keep them in a binder?

This year, I'm going to steer the kids more toward responding/summarizing things that we are reading together in class and letting me know what exactly they are reading for free-choice. I found last year that they were reading picture books and some even tried re-copying work they'd previously turned in (which is why I'm thinking of keeping their response journals-not returning them).

I have made up a classroom reading log with a section for each kid where they record what books they are reading from the library or classroom library (or wherever) so I can see where they are getting the book and when they started reading it, etc. This will also give me a record of how much they are reading and if the books are on level. This seems more productive to me than just sending something home that parents are supposed to sign to verify they've read. It will also make a nice thing to show parents at conference time.

I use the response journals to help me select words for individualized spelling lists and I take both reading and writing grades from these. I a big believer in making the most use out of one assignment so the kids and I BOTH have less to do.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

More info
Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, I ask my kiddos to bring in a composition notebook for their reading journal, and we do any and all responses in it.

I typically ask for one written letter a week, and I give them ideas of what to write about (which they glue into the front of their notebook). When the kids write their letters to me, I respond to them with another letter. But there are times when I'll tell them all to create a T-chart, or Venn diagram, or a 4-square grid in their notebook and ask everyone to respond the same way on the same day. So, for example, I want them to do a comparison of the main character from their book and themselves, I'll say "Okay guys, turn to the first available page in your journal, and draw a Venn diagram. Today, after you read, I want you to compare the main character of your book and you. How are you alike/diff, yadda, yadda, yadda." I'll take up all the notebooks at then end of class, and do a quick check of them all, but I do not write an entire letter response to those.

When I ask the kids to write me a letter, I do write a letter back to them. When I ask for other response types, I do not. Just a one sentence note on what I like about the response and/or questions I had while reading it.

Last year, I threw in a few 4-square grid responses that were open-ended. They'd draw the grid in their journal, and then I gave them 4 statements to finish, one for each square. Some of them would be:

I wonder why...
When I finished reading, I thought...
My favorite part was...because...
I can't believe..
I was surprised...
One thing that confused me was...
This reminds me of...
Why did..
I can't really understand...
I began to think of...
This makes me feel...
I don't see how...
etc.

I like these kind of open-ended responses, because more often than not my kids are all reading something different.

Again, when I get them to do these types of responses, I don't write back a letter to them, just give a quick comment/suggestion.

As part of their reading journal, I do have them keep a log of what they read. Sometimes I'm good about reminding them to fill them out, other times I stink at it.

As for keeping up with who turns in what and when, I usually have a list taped to my desk or somewhere near, so I can tell at a glance who needs to turn theirs in that day. This year, underneath the journal turn-in schedule, I'm going to do small posters of each group. The red groups poster will have their names all in red, the orange in orange, the yellow in yellow with black outline, etc. So all I'll have to do is glance up at my reading wall.

What kind of responses do you use for your journals?

crockpotqueen

response
Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have them write a short summary (based on the 20 minutes of reading we do in school), and then they write a personal reaction (prediction, connection, etc... like the ideas in your list above- I give them a similar list and a template to follow.) Last year I had them to 3 of those a week, which should have mostly been done in class if they used their time properly. I collected them all on the same day.

magnolia57

Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hey Sassy!

I was just keeping track of which 4 I did each day on a spreadsheet, but I like your idea better.
Thanks
magnolia57 is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Magnolia
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No problem! Glad that'll work for you, too!

What do your kids do in their reading journals?

magnolia57

Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

BParsons,

The teachers on my grade level and I took the ideas from the Book Whisperer and made our Readers' Notebooks from that. We wrote directions and had the kids tape them inside the front cover of their composition notebooks. Then we had them number all the pages and make the table of contents. One of the other teachers suggested we put those little Post it divider tabs to mark the sections for Reading Response, Reading List and Books to Read. The kids respond to their writing every day and we pick up a few each day and write responses in them. They are so anxious for me to write back to them and put the tabs in their books... I love it!

Oh, and another teacher suggested kids take them to the library so they can add to the Books they want to read section.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Reader's Notebook.doc (39.5 KB, 323 views)
magnolia57 is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

magnolia
Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yeah that's similar in a lot of ways to what I'm doing.... but I'm putting it all in one big binder instead of the kids having separate journals. After seeing your page, I think I might add a sheet for kids to write the names of books they want to read, too.

I don't honestly recall where I got the idea for the way I'm doing it??? Maybe it was The Cornerstone by Angela Powell? I did read that this summer and I certainly didn't come up w/ it by myself!

Jip

Large Classes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Boy, you really have a large class. Truthfully, I can only handle 4 letters a day at the very most. Otherwise, I get overwhelmed. There are days when I can't even finish those four. Good luck! It's hard!

Jip is offline   Reply With Quote

Hat Lady

Great Ideas!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you for sharing how to set up your response to reading journals.
I am teaching reading for the first time in 10 years. I see about 58 students each day for reading and writing. If anyone has any great ideas or suggestions about how I can keep up with the journals and discuss them with the students please let me know.
Also, do you grade their journals? If so, how do you grade them?
Hat Lady is offline   Reply With Quote