Help

The Job Search

Is working for Sylvan worth it?

>

*Annie*

Is working for Sylvan worth it?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just did a search on this site for info on Sylvan tutors and found out the pay varies depending on location. I see CA pays $10 and another poster said they got paid $8 per hour. So I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows what they pay in the Northeast? (specifically Connecticut? or New York-Westchester - they would be comparable). I noticed a PT job opening in Waterbury (small city). Since I can't bear to sub, and need more income, I'm wondering if this would be a good thing to do while I try to find a FT position. Thanks!

*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

subsmart

Sylvan
Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it is a great idea. Subbing sucks but try it. How about going for TA jobs? What are you doing now? Dont't forget to try Huntington or Kumon.
subsmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

I Worked at Sylvan
Old 04-05-2007, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I worked at a Sylvan here in Ohio, and only made $8 an hour. I don't think it was really worth it, but I have a couple reasons behind it in case you were wondering. I would be scheduled to work some days and then I would be called in the morning by the director saying because my students cancelled for that evening that I would not be needed. Also, I would go to work, which was across town, and only be scheduled for an hour. After my 30 day evaluation, they fired me because they said I had a negative attitude about the place, and some of the parents and other staff members had complaints about me. I just think they hired too many people and since I was one of the last ones hired, first one to be let go I guess. I was thinking about trying at that location again, since the director is no longer there. Hope this helps! Hopefully your location that you want to apply at is a lot better than here!
Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Michelle3rd

Michelle3rd

Imo
Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my personal opinion, I would not work there, but I have my own reasons similar to one of the other posts. I am out on Long Island and I worked at Sylvan a few years ago. The starting rate was $12/hr. if I remember correctly. I did not like it all but stayed for some time because I needed money. I had the same problem as the other post. I was constantly being called out because kids cancelled. They were only open from 4-7 Mon.-Thurs. and I was never scheduled the full 3 hours. Sat. mornings they were open I think from 10-1. The whole thing was a joke. Then some days, after driving there, they would try to send me home early and have me work for only one hour. The whole thing was ridiculous. Plus the two directors were obnoxious and had their favorites. Their favorites being the ones that got the most hours. I am sorry if I am discouraging you, but it's not a place that I would recommend.

JRichard

Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I tutored for Princeton Review for a while, when I was finishing my degree. I got paid $10/hr and they paid for their training also. I enjoyed it a lot. The only thing is that the work varies based on what classes are starting in which locations. In a busy suburban or urban area, classes would be more constant and available.

I found the company to be upbeat, positive, and good to their tutors. If Sylvan doesn't sound good to you, you might check out Princeton Review.

Jenny

BTW, When I did Princeton Review, I was in MA, so pay would probably be comparable.

JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

mentorteach

Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Why not tutor privately? I do and I get $60 an hour. It depends on your area and the socio-economics, but you'll def. get more than $8-10 you'd make at a place like Sylvan.
mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

online tutoring
Old 04-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi:

I have been an online tutor for esylvan for 4 years. In fact today is my anniversary. They pay $10 an hour and it is only worth it if you are doing it from home from your own computer. I agree it would not be worth it if you had to drive to one of the centers to make that riduculous amount for a certified teacher.

It has been a great experience and sharpened my teaching skills because you teach reading and math from 3rd-12th grade. I was trained from home for 6 hours paid by them. Learning this technology is great and the way of the future. If the hours are available you can work up to 29 hours a week. You could not support yourself on it but it gives you a little extra money. When I come home from school I walk in my house and there is my extra part time job.

elepen
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for all your responses. Food for thought. Actually, I would like to tutor privately, but being elementary, don't you have to have materials? Especially for reading? (I'm thinking of the guided reading leveled books). I really have no idea where to begin to set that up. The computer experience would be beneficial with the esylvan...okay, so there are options....
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

grade4curlyQ

Good Luck Annie
Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

JRichard (Jenny) .............this is entirely off-topic, but I LOVE your avatar! It's beautiful!
grade4curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Lesli

Lesli

How did you become an online tutor?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi - can you advise on how you went about becoming a tutor for Sylvan online? I didn't even know that option was out there until you mentioned it. I was supposed to interview with them and thought it would be a great way to get my feet wet since I will be a 1st yr teacher in the fall (provided I get an offer!) but after hearing about the off/on schedule, it is too much of a drive to the location for them to turn me around an hr later due to no shows.

The online option sounds perfect, though.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Lesli

elepen

Old 05-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Lesli:

All you have to do is go online and type esylvan or educate and there should be a place on the site that says interested in teaching. You fill out the application online and they test your computer to make sure you have all the bells and whistles necessary for online tutoring. If you don't they will tell you what you will need.
This is followed by a telephone interview then you have training from your home on your computer for 6 hours. You decide your schedule and thats it.
I have been with them about 4 years and they are always looking for teachers. When I started you had to have a couple of years experience teaching but things could be different now.
Give it a try and good luck

elepen
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote