Help

Kindergarten

1/2 Day K and Daily 5

>

happykids

1/2 Day K and Daily 5
Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I look at some simple restructuring over the holiday break, I am wondering if anyone uses D5 in 1/2 Day kinder.

What does it look like?
How have you changed it to make it work for you?

TIA

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 12-11-2010, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't teach 1/2 day K, but if I did, I'd probably just do one round of D5 a day.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

zola

Old 12-11-2010, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach half day k and do a version of daily 5 that I continue to adapt. This is my second year trying it and I enjoy the guidance having a CAFE board gives me. Here's what I do that is most like daily 5:
I introduce read to self, word work, and work on writing at the beginning of the year focusing on one at a time for about a week's time each. So at the beginning of the year it is more like the daily 3.
I have about two tables and a carpet area that I devote to "word work" type activities. I use one table for work on writing. I use mostly carpet squares for read to self areas about the room.
After winter vacation I will introduce listen to reading and partner reading for about a week's time and for about a week each.
I use strategy cards that match up to our district's language arts curriculum. The cards have print and picture to help the students identify what it is we are working on. I tie these in to the mini lesson and in our morning meeting message board.
At the beginning of the year, I do a mini lesson and then center time. Call back with a rain stick sound cue-mini lesson-centers.

What I do that is not like the daily 5 format:
I assign work areas using a "centers chart". I have found in kindergarten this eats up too much of my time. Perhaps there's another way to smooth this out. I haven't found it yet.
I work on guided reading with two groups-one during the first round and one during the second round.

Problems I have encountered:
At the beginning of the year a mini lesson takes about 10 minutes, the center time about 10 minutes so with two rounds it takes about 40 minutes.Even that is more time than I can afford daily for this but I feel the guided reading and independent practice is very important. As the year progresses, ten minutes at a center is not long enough and I do not call back the children for a second mini lesson. I haven't figured out how to do two rounds of mini lessons. I continue to do two round of guided reading by just calling over my second group. I just don't have enough time in the day to extend this. I've adapted this by introducing my first mini lesson as part of my morning meeting. This is usually a phonemic awareness, CAP skill, phonics work. Then at the begining of daily 3/5 I do my second mini lesson which focuses more on comprehension work.
I find I have to re-teach quiet and quick clean up after any type of long weekend or holiday time off.
zola is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been doing much of the same and the issues I am encountering seem to be very similar.

*The time it takes to transition is far too long ("I'm not done yet" "I don't know what to do" "I want ot do this")

*My kids are truly no where near independent! If I am not there guiding them, they don't do anything. I've started leaving a completed "word Work" in a plastic sleeve so they have an example (or something to copy). This week I only told them it was in there, so most kids (like I expected) just did what they want because the example was not in front of them.

*This is a group of 9 kids (3 groups) with two kids above level (2nd grade) and the rest below.

* I am implementing having kids who don;t get work done do it with me before snack and some (4) kids this week said, "I will do it later before snack.

***My gut tells me these are truly learned behaviors of "I don't want to" and "I can do it later" . Parents I've discussed this with say "Oh, he likes choices. Give him a choice to do it now or later." HELLO! This is school, there are many choices to make, sometimes work is not a choice!

I have introduced "Personal Libraries" and my kids LOVE this. Later this week we will go "shopping" and they love it.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote