Help

Kindergarten

"Hearing" beginning sounds

>

learntogether

"Hearing" beginning sounds
Old 12-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach Pre-K, but am concerned about a student in my class who barely missed the birth date to be in kindergarten this year. He is extremely verbal but depends on memorizing. He recognizes all the letters and their sounds. We use "Words Their Way." We have the kids sort pictures by beginning sounds. He cannot grasp how to "hear" beginning sounds. He memorizes easily. He will know that "tree" begins with letter T and the t sound. However, he will not know that table begins with the t sound until he has been told (so he can memorize the answer). I thought I had made a break through when I had him use a phonic phone (pvc pipe) so he could listen to his own voice, but later realized he was still looking at someone else's work or depending on memorizing. We play lots of phonemic awareness games. I need another approach for him. Any ideas? It has actually occurred to me to put a blind fold on him so he would have to rely on his sense of hearing....

learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty97

Bingo!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just a though but how many letters do you introduce a week?
Maybe it would be best to slow down and work with only 2-4 letters exclusively until he has mastered those, then select another few. I would use high frequency letters first. Just realized something else actually, when you have him sorting make sure that the letters are true and not blends or digraphs.....I know common sense....just in response to your tree word.......
1.You could also have him wear a letter for a week or several days and throughout the day use it as a "ticket" to have him transition. He has to produce the sound and name an object that begins with that sound???
2.I totally agree wtih blindfolding him. I have asked ss to close their eyes and whispered the words in their ears and for some strange reason..............it works.
3.What about kinesthetic activities to "link" the sounds? Like a cutting motion for the/k/ and /c/ sounds and do the same chant or song EVERYDAY...
4.Or read books to him that have alliteration-one letter at a time and ask him what sound as they over emphasize an initial sound.
5.Have you thought about playing other games with him like the sound bingo games........where he has to ID a sound and use the pictures (bingo card)? This could be your hook..........you could play the game and then create a bingo board for him. Have him close his eyes or use one of those sleep masks (b/c it has elastic and would be easier for him to just lift above his eyes and "find"/locate/id the pic he thinks that corresponds with the sound.
6..To further emphasize the initial sound, you could also have the rime and omit only the initial sound and underscore the empty space. (cloze activities)

7.You could also play scavenger hunt games and have him go retrieve and item that begins with the ___ sound. It would be things that he has not made an association with.
8..Or you could put items in a bag and have him sort the items on a T-chart.....2, 3, or 4 sounds. You would have the header labeled prior to this.....
9. Fishing for the sound:Attach a magnet to the end of a wooden dowel and hot glue paper clips to laminated pics. Choose a letter and have him only "keep" the items with whatever initial sound you are working on that week. On his recording paper you could have him glue or circle the corresponding pics with the ____ sound.
10. Interactive websites like Starfall.com may also be of benefit.
11. Cut items out of the grocery papers (circulars) one letter only or a T-chart and sort for two letters? HE would be using pictures and you wouldn't have to prepare anything special for him. You could even cut a piece of tan construction paper with rick rack scissors on the top to look like a grocery bag and fold it in half for the sort.
12. Do you have access to any Leap Frog toys or pens? This would be immediate feedback for him as well.
13. Picture stamps could also be used for sorting, again you could limit the sort to only two sounds and have him use a T chart to sort them....
just some ideas........hope that you find ANY of them useful......

Last edited by kitty97; 12-14-2010 at 11:35 PM..
kitty97 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrtonya

Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

kitty97

Hope you don't mind I just cut and pasted your email as a reference next year when I am teaching Kinder. All great suggestions.
tchrtonya is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty97

tchrtona
Old 12-14-2010, 11:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nope! Not at all......
kitty97 is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks- that is a great list! It gives me some fresh ideas for January. Since it is Pre-K we do only one letter per week. Of course we also work with the letters our names, etc. I am also going to look for a sleep mask. I think that would be a fun way to work on this with him.

learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Love cut n paste here ... I printed several
Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

pages to help my SD teacher after getting great advice for her on PT (It made her semester!) I have also pulled off a few "writing tips" for reminders for myself and to share with my team and so I can remember book names
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote