Help

The Job Search

"Always a bridesmaid...."

>

*Annie*

"Always a bridesmaid...."
Old 01-19-2006, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long-term sub vacancies are starting to surface around here, which is great as I apply to each one and hope for the best. I have done 3 such assignments, (all at the same school) and one other at the middle school level in a different district. But now when you read my resume, it's almost like, okay she has this experience, why didn't they hire her? It's almost a negative...I even had a principal say to me in an interview last summer...."always a bridesmaid, never a bride" as she read my resume! In anticipation of a similar type of comment/question in future interviews, how do I tell them very nicely - the job market really (really) stinks and it's not me! (I have glowing letters of rec which seem to make no difference at all).

*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzanne42

Suzanne42

keep doing what you're doing!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My friend experienced the same thing. It was because she was such a great sub! All the teachers knew they could count on her and they felt completely comfortable leaving their students and classes in her hands. If she became a "real" teacher or took a long term sbu position, who would they call? It would put them in a bind to find someone to take their class. She continued subbing and eventually got a full time position. Don't give up. Keep thinking of ways to set yourself apart from the crowd. Do you have a teaching portfolio? Can you take a class to update your skills? It's tough, believe me and sometimes it feels like you're jumping through hoops, but keep doing what you're doing and eventually someone is going to see you as a great teacher and think "how lucky am I to get her before anyone else scooped her up"! Let us know how it goes.

*Annie*

I will.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for that...
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Pam-Il

Pam-Il

Me too --- and I hate it.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been a sub in a district for 4 years while I finished school and everyone knows that Pam is reliable, committed, perfect, does a great job and they even call me at home to make arrangements. Well, that is nice - but what about a job???????????????????

I started at a new district - totally opposite of my old one - diversity, and very different levels and set up. No one knows me -- will it work? Don't know but what else can I do?

I have even returned to school to complete 3 classes for an additional middle school endorsement. Whewww - it is hard.

Anyways, I will let you know if this works for me. Keep your chin up and make the best of it. That is all that you can do. But I know what you are talking about.
Nan

Nan

The Sub Trap
Old 01-23-2006, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I subbed for over 10 years and fell into the same trap. The school systems would hire people from out of state and expect the locals to keep subbing forever. I know tons of people with the same exact story. Putting subbing on your resume does not help IMO. The next school system just wants you to move 1000 miles and sub for them too!

rrg2

rrg2

same for me
Old 01-24-2006, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I subbed for 2 1/2 years. The school district even gave me an award for me dedicated work to the school system, but I never even got an interview for a perm. position. I ended up moving to another part of the country.

Quatro

Been there
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I subbed for five years and heard the same painful comment. I withdrew my name from the sub list and told the schools that I was having to leave the field to feed my family. Our market stunk but after two years I got my job. I taught there for eight years. Good luck to you.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

ClaireDeLune

I Feel the Same Way...
Old 01-28-2006, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That's why I'm thinking of leaving Canada. At present, I'm a supply teacher and have been going on interviews for long-term positions. I haven't had any luck, mostly because although the principals say I do very well in the interview, they always go with retired teachers (I'm a newbie). I've heard that LTO's (long-terms) are how new teachers pay their dues before getting hired permanently, but I need a job where I can at least work every day.

Annie, where are you located? Lots of areas are saturated with teachers but many others have teacher shortages if you're willing to move. I've seen ads for NY, CA, and GA, especially for special education.

Bren
ClaireDeLune is offline   Reply With Quote