Help

Kindergarten

"w" sight word trouble

>

sahteachermom

"w" sight word trouble
Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a child who is having difficulty with most of the "w" words (where, what, want, with, ...). She is a whiz at just about every other sight word she is exposed to, but these are just not sinking in. Sometimes she will just guess any "w" word, but she is a generally diligent student and tries to sound them out and even with that little bit of "help" she still can't get it. Any tips, tricks, or even just another way of teaching them (besides flash cards/repetition) to help her out? Thanks so much!

sahteachermom is offline   Reply With Quote

motherduck92

Rap it, rhyme it, sing it!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly, I haven't done this with my kindergartners with "w" words, but I had a parent tell me this story yesterday: they have a daughter in first grade who had the same problem! Her mom kept flashcarding her and working her daily with rote memorization, but she just couldn't get it. Mom got angry and the daughter got frustrated, so dad jumped in. He started fooling around and rapping the "w" words with the daughter - rapping them, rhyming them, singing them. He said not only did she suddenly get it all together, but so did the 4 year old daughter! Sometimes, a change of strategy, a change of voice, a change of learning style is all it takes for the learning to connect. Good luck!
motherduck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read an article about a group that put SAT words into a rap. This enabled students to learn quickly and be able to recall them more easily. It appears this is not just for high school kids. Great story and tip.
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote