Help

Fifth Grade

# of books reading at a time

>

coaches wife

# of books reading at a time
Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question for 5th grade teachers. My nephew is being required to read 2 - 3 books at a time. With each book there is a different assignment. One book they must do a book report (art type project), with one book they are to do journal responses, and I am not sure what the 3rd book is for. THey cannot read the first 2 at school at all.
I teach 3rd grade and know how hard it is for the kids to read 2 books and comprehend. What do 5th grade teachers think? Is it realistic for kids to read 2 - 3 books at a time and get anything out of it? Also, do you have any research to back your ideas? My sister is going into a meeting tomorrow to discuss this and was needing some help.

TIA

coaches wife is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Books
Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids are reading about 3 books at a time for different reasons also, but they don't have the extra activities with each individual one. My kids each have a silent reading book (totally their choice), an independent daily reading book (IDR), and then a literature circle book. They can choose either their silent reading book or IDR book to write me a letter about it (reader's notebook). Their literature circle book is the book we discuss. My kids seem to be understanding their books based on my observations in their letters and our discussions. I'm not sure if I have any research that backs my observations up though.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Does there have to be reserch?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Geeez, Louise... how about a little common sense? I can't read 3 books at a time, make projects and keep a journal of my reading. I hate when teachers do this. How is this authentic reading? Do you complete a project or journal for every book you read? (rhetorical question) I bet the third book is an AR book. He'll take a quiz on that one at school.
I teach 5th and tell my students, no more than 2 books at a time and yes, they can read them during self-selected reading time at school. I don't assign book projects or make them keep journals. They write a little summary of a book when they finish it and confer with me, that's it. Kids who read more than 2 books at a time get confused, bored or overwhelmed. Whenever I've had students who tried to read more than 2 books at a time, they often abondon them.
I've been known to restrict certain students to 1 book and a magazine at a time. They just can't handle all that information.
I'm off to read one of the 6 books I'm reading simultaneously and make a character in a can.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

I think that's a little extreme
Old 01-23-2011, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine have the novel we're doing in small group and then one they read for AR, but they don't have a project assigned to it. That's a lot of reading and working on reading - when do they do their other homework??
GiantSubs is online now   Reply With Quote

coaches wife

Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for your information, and insight into this. My sister spoke with the teacher about this , and her teacher said this is the way she has always done it, and she is NOT about to change. fortunately, my nephew is extremely smart and can handle this. However, he is getting very busy with his outside activities, and is starting to get overwhelmed.
When my sister said something to the teacher about the amount of homework she is assigning every night (including Holidays) the teacher told my sister that she needs to take her son out of all outside of school activities. She explained to my sister that in 5th grade, their lives should be SCHOOL!!!!! I feel so sorry for them.

GiantSubs

That is ridiculous
Old 01-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and if I were your sister, I'd see the principal. School is important, obviously, but in order to produce a well rounded child, they need family time, extracurricular time, and plain old "down" time! The general rule of thumb is 10-15 minutes of homework a night by grade level, so in 5th grade, we aim for about an hour. What she's doing is not right!
GiantSubs is online now   Reply With Quote

coaches wife

Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

She has a meeting with the teacher and principal today

cluu777

meeting
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just curious what happened at the meeting. Did anything come of it?
cluu777 is offline   Reply With Quote

coaches wife

Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The meeting was HORRIBLE!!!! There were some discipline issues brought up before they could get to homework issues, and the principal and teacher flat out said that my sister and her son were both liars about everything. (they even used the word liars).
They would not hardly let my sister and her husband talk at all.
They brought up the homework and the reading, and the Principal said that the teacher was allowed to do anything she wanted, and she thought what the teacher was doing was wonderful. She said she could not understand why my sister had concerns.
When they brought in my nephew he stated that he was terrified of the teacher because she is constantly yelling and screaming, the Principal said he was not being honest about that. It might seem like yelling and screaming, but the teacher just talks loud. Whatever!!!
My sister asked if she could come observe the classroom and was told absolutely NOT!!! (red flag to me). However, they did say they could video tape the class if she wanted (which she has asked them to do).
Overall, it was a horrible meeting where nothing was resolved