Help

Gifted Education

assessing creativity in gifted

>

TAGtime

assessing creativity in gifted
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have an assessment that deals specifically with assessing creativity? I had a 3rd grade classroom teacher come to me with a student who she feels may be creatively gifted. Any ideas?

TAGtime is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

Koi
Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would use Draw Starts. I know they are included in the Kingore Observation Inventory available here: http://www.professionalassociatespub...tegory_Code=BK

I don't have this inventory, but have been to several Bertie Kingore workshops. The thing with Draw Starts is that you have to see a lot before you really know if something is "creative". So you may want to implement with the whole class, or even grade level. It doesn't take long. Basically, they are some squiggles on a page. Students are asked to take those marks and make them into a picture. If a bunch of kids turn a particular mark into a bunny, then that's not very creative, but a unique interpretation indicates a higher level of creativity. Things to look for are unique point of view (like the underside of something) or interesting relationships between several different marks. At third grade, you can have kids label or write a sentence about their pictures so that you can tell what it's supposed to be, because it's not the drawing being examined, but the idea behind the drawing. If you ever use Draw Starts with younger kids (like K-1) you may want to have them dictate to someone what their pictures are.
luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote

braintrain

Torrance and Hawthorne
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use the Torrance in our county. I know some systems also use the creativity subscale of the Hawthorne Rating Scale. :-)
braintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

edwajean

creative thinking
Old 02-20-2011, 01:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try either Torrance's Creativity Test, or the Kingore one. Both excellent guides to creative thinking. Or, in a small group, try circle-talk like "What if clouds had strings..?", "What if I had an eye on the end of my finger..?" -- ask what are some of the bad things that might happen, and also some of the AMAZING things you'd be able to do. Then listen carefully to the unusual, "wacky", original, and detailed responses... you'll soon see who fires out the most creative ideas
Cheers
edwajean is offline   Reply With Quote