Help

Fifth Grade

38 years in 5th being moved to 2nd

>

Boilerfan

38 years in 5th being moved to 2nd
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in great need of research that teaching reading at primary does not qualify one to be successful in upper grades. Principal moving 70% of staff with no data or research to back decision. Looks rather like a power tactic. Any thoughts or research to fight this would be greatly appreciated! Many unhappy teachers.

Boilerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

nothing you can do
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This has happened in local schools and the teachers found that there is nothing you can do about it. Principals can put you where they want to put you. It stinks but the best way to deal with it is forget the anger and be the best second grade teacher you can be. Show him what you're made of and then pray that the P gets transfered. There is no shortage of stinky principals I guess.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

parker

Oh, it's a power tactic alright
Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but there isn't any research out there to prove what you want to prove. Been there.

Principals can move teachers at will and don't need research to do so. Fighting it won't do any good.

There are reasons they do this:
To force teachers out of their comfort zone, to force teachers to learn, adapt and reflect.
To flush out incompetent teachers-A teacher might have done OK with the high level kids, but what about the low level kids?
Your prince could be hoping someone with your amount of experience will quit or retire.
Not saying these are good reasons, but they are reasons admin justifies doing so.

Be glad they are telling you now. Usually, fruit basket turnover occurs during the summer after school is out, so teachers have less time to prepare.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Bee Reads

Sounds like
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

your principal isn't happy with the progress of some of your coworkers. Could it be that the primary moves are to show them just how difficult it is to teach upper grades? Maybe as Parker posted he is trying to get people to retire or out of their comfort zone. Is there anyway that you could have a discussion with your principal to find out why you are having to move? Just another thought, in which grades does your state testing begin? Maybe needs his strongest teachers in the primary grades?
Ms Bee Reads is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

So Sorry
Old 03-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hope you can accept and make the best of teaching second grade. It is no way to treat someone after 38 years of service.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

cactus67

Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

been there, done that...
After 20 years in second grade my new principal moved me to 5/6 for this year.
Lots of complaints from parents about my move...we'll see what happens for next year.

Interesting that posters assume your principal is a male.
cactus67 is offline   Reply With Quote

miss twizzle

2nd-5th
Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I moved from 2nd to 5th grade last year after 20 in first and second. Moving to a new grade level gets me re-energized! I think you will be surprised that you will like it! Proteacher has been extremely helpful this year! Good teachers can teach at any level. Good Luck,
miss twizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

LUVGC

me too
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is happening to us, too. Our first year principal gets bored easily, (so he says) so he's moving EVERYONE around next year. I mean everyone from kindergarten on up! Our scores have always been outstanding! Teachers in the testing grade levels have been in the same position for 20 years or more. No one is happy. A power play? You bet! Atleast it's for our principal. Oh well, maybe he won't be here next year. One can only hope!
LUVGC is offline   Reply With Quote