Help

Fifth Grade

Camping Themed Week

>

5th

Camping Themed Week
Old 05-14-2011, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The other teachers at my grade level are doing a camping week. Does anyone have any ideas on how to involve camping like activities in the classroom? I have a tent set up already. I have thought of fishing for words - with poles and magnets to pick up words and identify their part of speech.

5th is offline   Reply With Quote

Charl

Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught 4th we made a fake campfire on the floor and the students read spooky stories that they had written. The lights were off and they gathered around the fire. The stories were written after a study of that genre. We did this in October, but it could work with camping too. The stories could not be violent, but had to be suspenseful and mysterious. You could make smores in the microwave to eat and they would love that!
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Camping
Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Read Into The Woods by Andrew Clements

Read and follow directions to make different kids of fishing line knots.

I wish I knew a good fishing story to read aloud, but sadly I do not. Maybe your librarian will have a suggestion for you.

Read Aloud- picture book Everybody Needs a Rock. Then go on a rock hunt around the school yard. Have students follow the rules given in the read aloud. When you return to the room have students write a description of their rock and why they chose this one. They could write from the rock's point of view to make it more challenging. Then they could share their descriptions.

There is a terrific book titled Sharing Nature with Children by Joseph Cornell that will have several activities for you unit. He also has a website you can use for information.

Good luck with your camping unit. It sounds like fun.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote