Help

Fifth Grade

Civil War

>

megsy1182

Civil War
Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to find some creative ideas on how to teach the civil war. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

megsy1182 is offline   Reply With Quote

roundstanley

use these primary sources
Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Underground Railroad unit lists all the primary sources they used for the site. When I do enrichment I have kids pick 5 or more sources and put together their own mini textbooks. They have to do further research to find out more info on their sources, sequence the sources in a logical way, and come up with a few open ended questions at the end of their "textbook".

http://teacher.scholastic.com/activi...nd%5Frailroad/
roundstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

swilliams214

Civil War
Old 05-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We just finished the Civil War and my kids loved it! I don't know where you are starting but we began with slavery and the underground railroad. Our kids made a freedom quilt after reading Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt and then they had to write a persuasive letter to President Lincoln from the point of view of an abolistionist, plantation owner, or slave (chose out of a hat). This is a really great activity because even though they don't agree sometimes, they have to get in that mind set and back it up with historical data. Scholastic makes a really great simulation book for the Civil War, just be fair warned it is in depth and may take about a week or two depending on how much time you are devoting to it. The kids really love it and get a feel for how the soldiers lived and took pride in their side's wins and losses during the battles.

Some read alouds:
Pink and Say
Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt
Henry "Box" Brown
Two Tickets to Freedom (based on a true story)

Websites:
http://teacher.scholastic.com/activi...ound_railroad/
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/railroad/
http://www.radford.edu/~sbisset/civilwar.htm

There is so much you can do with it! Another teacher I knew divided her class up into four groups and the students had to write a newspaper (2 Union - 2 Confederacy) from that point of view and time period. Good luck!
swilliams214 is offline   Reply With Quote

cyndyjlo

civil war
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, that simulation book is fantastic! The children enjoy it every year!

An easy BB idea is to write diamonte poems that contrast slavery and freedom, then create quilt squares after reading Sweet Clara. Use both to design a beautiful board!

Also, Under the Quilt of Night is also a good read aloud.
cyndyjlo is offline   Reply With Quote

magnolia57

Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I presented on the Civil War at the National History Conference. Some of the material is on my website.

http://teacherweb.com/SC/MillbrookEl...sons/ap19.aspx

magnolia57 is offline   Reply With Quote

chinateacup

Alphabet Book
Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is a fantastic Civil War alphabet book - B is for Battle Cry. It is written by Patricia Bauer, illustrated by David Geister, and published by Sleeping Bear Press. Fantastic book! It has a poem for the abc part, as well as informational text in the sidebars. My kids loved the book, and then became pretty obsessed with it after a school visit last week by the illustrator, who also loves history and helped bring history to life for our kids through his wonderful presentation! If you check his website (davidgeister.com), there is a recording of the author (his wife) and her friends singing the poems in B is for Battle Cry to the tune of Hard Times Come Again No More.
chinateacup is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Several of my students really enjoyed the book The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg this year.
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote