Fifth Grade

state tests and mints

>

new2fifth

new2fifth

state tests and mints
Old 03-11-2007, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I heard recently, when I was teacher younger kids, that students who were taking state tests were given mints to eat while they were testing. The theory behind this was to give them some sugar and energy during the test nd to keep them alert. My kids will be taking tests next week and was wondering if anyone gives mints to heir kids as they are taking the tests. I'm thinking of it, but I don't want it to be a distraction. They'll be testing for 6 days, and for over an hour every day. Thanks

hescollin

Don't over do it.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A couple mints before the test starts with a slogan. Example: One day might be "You are a super mint" Cut out stars and staple the mints to the star. "You are a test taking star"
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Mints and Testing
Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't remember were I heard it (I think it was a brain research workshop) but I remember being told that the peppermint or wintergreen in the mint does something to the brain and helps students' scores. Sorry I can't be of much help.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas Gal

Old 03-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We did chewing gum! GASP! But - as we understood it - the chewing motion is what kept the brain juices flowing... We practiced with gum for a few days before the test. They had to be taught how to appropriately chew gum! It worked for us.
Texas Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 03-11-2007, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We used to allow peppermints. They are supposed to increase brain function. However, our "test administrators" determined that some of their fingers get sticky and then the sticky can be transfered to the answer document. Supposedly, we had a couple of answer documents stick together two years ago.

Now, we give out a package of fruit snacks every day of the testing. I, personally, give them an extra mint after lunch to keep them going. I always instruct my 7th graders to keep it in their mouths, and I have no issues.

Jenny

JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
teacher110

teacher110

Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

when i was in fourth grade, my teachers handed out mint gum(mints for the kids with braces) and gave us a five min. break in the middle 2 throw away gum and get more. Dont overdo it, my teacher had us all on sugar rush an hour later!

Suezie

Scotch mints
Old 03-20-2007, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My former and current students tell me that the only good thing about having to take a test is being able to suck on the scotch mints that I pass out. I've being doing this for over 20 years -- not because of research but to make the testing experience more pleasant. Perhaps this idea came from my own childhood experience of sitting thru the long church sermons and my mom giving me a scotch mint to suck on. I didn't enjoy the sermon that much but I looked forward to having a scotch mint each Sunday.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

LisaMLS

mints worked for me
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I gave my children mints during our tests. Every morning, I just put one inside their desk, and they ate it whenever they needed it. I noticed most of them eating it when they were getting to some tough parts. They looked forward to the mints every day. Another teacher at my school lets them chew gum during the test. She just made sure they spit it out when they were done the test. Mints were a lot easier for me.
LisaMLS is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher312

A week of fun
Old 03-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have state tests for several days. We too can't give them anything sticky, but I like to use "Smart Pills"-smarties. Another idea we used last year is below:
We Shall Overcome the EOGs!!!

To help students celebrate all the hard work they’ve done in preparing for the EOGs , we will do the following:

Wednesday: Sock it to the EOGs (Students wear the craziest socks they can find. Be creative and fun. Don’t have crazy socks? Wear two that don’t match.)

Thursday: Tie up the EOGs (Students wear “ties” to school. Be creative and have fun with wacky and crazy ties.)

Friday: Lick the EOGs (Blow Pop or Tootsie Pop suckers)
teacher312 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 03-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I give my kids Peppermint Patties. It is true that peppermint increases something in the brain. But I have also heard something similar about chocolate. Last year, I figured...well, chocolate and peppermint together = the York Peppermint Patties!

TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

BirdSong

minty gum
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We let our kids chew a piece of minty gum while taking the test. We also offer mint candies to those who prefer them.
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Agel

Agel

Mints
Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I read an artical in the Washington Post some time ago about that.

Ellensclass

We are not allowed to give candy
Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

at all or any food until after lunch....
We used to have crackers as snacks during the break, but i guess those days are gone too!
Ellensclass is offline   Reply With Quote
"Old Pro"

"Old Pro"

Mints during tests!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes! Yes! Yes! Give them mints! I have taught in a low income school for over 15 years and know that along with a lot of building of up their self esteem the mints seem to help. Besides...what does it hurt. Some of these districts need to do some research and start teaching to all their students instead of just a few!
lindsett

lindsett

mints helping test scores
Old 10-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

do you remember when you read this in the washington post and any other details about the article?
Guest23

Guest23

Mint Tea
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Mint herbal teas are known for its relaxing properties and if a kid is nervous about a test the smell and taste will help relax them. I recommend the sugar free spearmints. Check the herbal properties books for more details

pro/new2grade

Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Many years ago there was a research study about scents, tastes, and memory function. Our principal copied it for us but I don't think that I have it anymore. Peppermint enhances alertness to task completion and also increases scores on short and long term memory tasks. We have been giving students peppermints during district and state tests ever since. Our scores have steadily increased over the years --- could also be the teaching
pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote
ivan1123

ivan1123

re
Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

yes, mints help stipulate the brain, which in theory, helps the child be more consious and help them remember more