Help

Fifth Grade

Help with Behavior Management

>

Phillies Girl

Help with Behavior Management
Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have just been told that we will no longer have recess next year unless we have art. We went to our principal and asked about have an organized Fun Friday-2 detention rooms for missing work and behavior issues; 1 room for board games; and 2 teachers would take the kids to play an organized kickball game. This would be for the last 30 minutes on Friday. We were just told no.

I need something to hold over their heads for misbehaving and/or not doing homework. Cute stickers or treasure boxes won't work with this group and I don't like giving a lot of homework passes because I need them to do their homework.

Please help with any ideas.

Phillies Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

kcall043

Lunch with Teacher
Old 05-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know this would take away from the teacher's personal time but what if your team or multiple grades had a lunch detention with a teacher. This could be rotated like you would rotate recess duty. This lunch would be silent and students would have to make the missing work when finished eating.

Just a thought.
kcall043 is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Old 05-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you take field trips? Perhaps you could require students to have a certain citizenship grade to participate in these trips.

You could also reward wanted behavior with drawings for homework passes, in class game time, lunch with the teacher, etc.
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

jennybea2

Hard Group too
Old 05-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've also had a REALLY hard group this year and NOTHING postive works. The kids that make good choices make good choices even if there is no treat and the kids that don't get the treat (and we've had some good ones) don't care.

We have had kids call parents; lunch detention where kids have to work first and then eat lunch (yes, lunch is cold, too bad); sit inside, on the floor, while others are outside playing; sit outside, on the concrete, while friends are playing; stand at a fence pole, facing the building while others are playing; pick up trash (campus beautification) during recess; meet with principal;take away locker privilages; reflect and then write about their bad behavior. The list goes on and on. It's the same 15 to 20 kids that have problems and with this bunch of kids NOTHING works. I've never seen anything like it!

Sorry this turned into a vent but maybe some of the above will work.

P.S. The writing on bad behavior turned out to be a goldmine! Students just poured their guts out and then we had something that they wrote to show parents. For most, it really only works once, then the jig is up.
jennybea2 is offline   Reply With Quote

hppygrl165

Whole Brain Teaching?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I understand your pain, and I have tried a lot of different systems since this is my first year of teaching. After spring break, I got into some power teaching/whole brain teaching techniques with my inner city students and they have really LOVED them. I am curious about where you work and what the behavior expectations are... Do you teach in the city???

I hear what you are saying and I TOTALLY empathize!

P.S. The scoreboard has been EXTREMELY helpful for my students

hppygrl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

suebee77

PAT time
Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Check out Fred Jones:

http://www.fredjones.com/

I read Tools for Teaching and LOVED his ideas - would be especially great for a first year teacher. PAT is Planned Activity Time. It is not recess, but rather time for kids to work on individual projects, art time, etc.

I have thought this is one of the best plans for a self contained classroom. With all the switching we are required to do, I have not used it for a while.
suebee77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"...I don't like giving a lot of homework passes because I need them to do their homework..."

I'm with you! I've seen some threads lately that had other non-trinket rewards that might replace them, though - like sitting in special seat for the day, choosing what you read aloud at snack time, etc.

Another thing I've found that seems hugely important to kids is "being first" - it doesn't even matter what for (lining up for lunch, gym, other specials, packing up at the end of the day, whatever).

You could give them "points" for misbehavior or missing assignments, and then call everyone with zero first, then one, then two, etc.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

anamachara

Simple Rewards
Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Like an earlier poster, I use Whole Brain Teaching. We keep a score card through the day and if the children have more points on their side of the board than I do then they are allowed to sit wherever they wish for the last 15 minutes of the day. Crazy, but this seems to be enough motivation. There's also an element of positivie 'peer pressure', as it's an all or nothing situation. (The children always seem to have more points than me, which is my goal for them. Sometimes I have to do a double or nothing question, etc. near the end of the day to help them win but, as I shared, so far it's been a real winner.)
Happy teaching!
anamachara is offline   Reply With Quote