Interview -Have to teach a literacy lesson-Help! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fifth Grade

Interview -Have to teach a literacy lesson-Help!

>

aerobins

Interview -Have to teach a literacy lesson-Help!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I have an interview where I have to teach a literacy lesson for fifth grade. I would like to do either a reading workshop or writing workshop mini-lesson. Any ideas or suggestions?! I currently teach third grade and feel a little lost!

aerobins is offline   Reply With Quote

cooper5

Readwritethink
Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would check out this site...great lessons! There is one that's really good about teaching plot/conflict for 5th grade that I've done. The way I've done it, it takes 60 minutes..not sure how long you have but this really is a fantastic lesson! I do shorten it up so that it fits into my time slot but they really do get it. Here's the link:

http://www.readwritethink.org/classr...ach-b-803.html

I do the powerpoint 1st (but I only go to slide 4) and use examples of books they all know to discuss as you go. Once they get it, I split them into groups (4) give them preselected picture books (each with a clear type of conflict) and instruct them to read it aloud in their group. They should decide what type of conflict they think it is and why. They should also prepare a very short summary of the story. When they come back each group presents to the class-1st the summary, then the type of conflict. Everyone claps for each group and then very short discussion.

Good luck Let us know how it went!
cooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anamachara

Easy to Adapt
Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you look at Beth Newingham's website through the Scholastic site, you will see an amazing array of literature ideas. You did not mention this, but are the students already familiar with the workshop format? That would make a difference in what approach and how in-depth you would want your lesson to be....
anamachara is offline   Reply With Quote