Help

Fifth Grade

Learning something new

>

mmjohnson

Learning something new
Old 05-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to set up a web page that my students would use in their investigation time. I once saw a teacher's page that had ideas of new things students could learn about. For example, what does your name mean. Nothing to difficult, just interesting things that will make them think. Anyone have any ideas? Please let me know and I will share the url with you and your students when it is done. Thanks

mmjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

maryw

Mastery Club?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've seen several peoples websites that have a Mastery Club- but I believe it is mostly academic info. I think Mrs. Renz is one- try googling her.
maryw is offline   Reply With Quote

purplecrayon

maybe some fun ideas
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could have students research what roman numerals mean (you could google this and find the best site to connect a link to). Also, I've had students write biographies about any person they wanted (to an extent) - this gave me the ability to see into my students likes and personalities (i.e. one student researched a local professional skateboarder). They were passionate about their research and it was fun for them to research someone they look up to (some of them realized they thought they looked up to that person, but after some research realized they didn't). I bought a book with ways to use technology in the classroom (for instance, we used our mathbook as a resource and created a Word document to make quadrilaterals - with the correct markings - and parts of a circle.) Not as investigation-like as you might want, but it taught my students how they can use Word and technology to create some really cool things. I have examples of some of these technology projects my class has done if anyone is interested.
purplecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote

fairy11

technology projects
Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Dear purplecrayon's,
I am looking for the projects that can be given to grade V students as their summer home work.
fairy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

anamachara

Fact Monster
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you seen Fact Monster (through Education World's site?) It has question that can be printed off and then students use the fact monster site to hunt down the answers. I like to use it because it keeps the research on a child-friendly site. What a great idea ypi have to give this type of assignment over the summer; kids love using the computer and they'd be learning at the same time. Hope it works out well for you!

anamachara is offline   Reply With Quote