Help

Fifth Grade

Moving to 5th Grade

>

funnyteacher

Moving to 5th Grade
Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There is a possibility that I may move to 5th grade next year. What do you love about 5th grade??? TIA!

funnyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jebrab

Moving to 5th too!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am moving to 5th too! I have taught 5th grade before-12 years ago and have been in 3rd since. I would also like to know what you love about 5th grade!
Jane
jebrab is offline   Reply With Quote

anamachara

What I love about fifth graders...
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What do I love about fifth graders? They still have a child's heart, but they are developing their adult brains. It's a beautiful combination; reasoning with compassion.
What do I love about teaching fifth grade? The curriculum is interesting and many of the new concepts, especially in math, begin to create the "big picture" for students. They suddenly have the opportunity to see why they've learned to multiply, change fractions to common denominators, etc. The literature is also loaded with appealing language and word play, such as metaphors and idioms. IIt would be a dream just to sit and read with the class all day. In addition, the joy of hearing a great read-aloud is still a favorite activity (for both the students and me!)
I'm confident you'll soon find your own reasons to embrace the world of fifth grade. If you need any suggestions throughout the coming year, just post them and I'll do my best to give you my two cents worth.
Happy teaching!
anamachara is offline   Reply With Quote

teachurbest

Move to 5th
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too am moving to 5th grade after teaching 1st grade for 6 years. I'm very excited and looking forward to teaching new things and learning new thing also.
teachurbest is offline   Reply With Quote

3boys:)

Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Like the pp, I too love that they still have a kid's heart, but their adult personalities are beginning to shine through. I taught 3rd and always said I would stay there forever. But now that I have been in 5th for a year, I like it much better. When I do science and even math, they have so many questions and true interest in what they are doing. My science is so much discussion and interaction that you can't do at a younger level. I love the curriculum. It def. took me out of my comfort zone, but I love the concepts that I am able to teach. Being able to introduce or delve deeper into subjects and have the kids really own their learning is great!! I could go on, but you will get the idea once you have switched yourself.

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

NM Teach

Old 05-24-2011, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am moving to fifth too! After teaching first grade for five years. Not a choice I probably would have made (budget cuts and shuffling) but I am excited to try something new.
NM Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

sjr35

I am moving too!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am changing grade levels from preschool to 5th. I have taught 5th/6th before but am anxious to get to the grade level that I love. I agree with the fact that they are excited about school, but are able to do so many things at a more complex level. I have so many ideas that I can't wait to get started!!!
sjr35 is offline   Reply With Quote