Help

Fifth Grade

Moving from 3rd to 5th!

>

DaisyGirl94

Moving from 3rd to 5th!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday my principal offered me a 5th grade position after teaching 3rd grade for 8 years!! I am so excited and can't wait! Has anyone made this transition before? I'm afraid that I will be to baby-ish and want to avoid that! Any suggestions would be great! I'm excited about my new adventure!

Daisy

DaisyGirl94 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree with what sanjac said. They are still kids and so it's okay to do things like projects and such. But you'll need a heavier hand with them in the sense that they still need consistency and consequences...especially right after spring break. You'll immediately notice their attitudes change and the hormones start raging a bit more too. But they are fun to be around b/c they still love giving you hugs and notes yet you can joke around with them and they'll understand your humor more.

I noticed that with the other 5th grade teachers on team, they keep their classroom decor and such to a minimum, like you'd see in a junior high room. But I still have my room set-up in the way I did when I taught 4th. My principal actually asked that I not shy away from that when she moved me to 5th 3 years ago.

You'll love it!
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

McCub

In the same boat
Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I, too, will be moving from third to fifth next year, after nine years in third. I keep reminding myself that at the beginning of the year I will actually have well-polished fourth-graders, which is only a year ahead of where I currently leave my kids in June. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say, as well as perusing the boards in my new grade level!
McCub is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm moving from 4th to 5th after teach 3 years in 4th grade. I'm planning to use an Aloha/ Hawaiian theme for my classroom and incorporate the Daily 5 into Reading instruction. I'm also a little worried about the students viewing some of my hands-on activities as babyish, but have the added benefit of looping with several of my students. (Hopefully this will make the transition easier
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

jebrab

Me too!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am also moving to 5th from 3rd-been there for many years! I am very excited about the change too, but a little nervous about the new discipline structure. In primary, we use the green, yellow, red system and 5-8 use a conduct point system. A lot to learn! I will be teaching math, science and social studies.

jebrab is offline   Reply With Quote

TOY2010

I moved from 3rd to 5th
Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

this school year. So I am completing my first year in fifth. It truly was not that big of change. They are bigger kids and they can handle more, but they are still kids. Some things I thought would be too babyish for them, wasn't. You just have to try it and see how the acitivity works. We are the A-Team and they actually were!!! I love the content that I teach. That is top thing that I am enjoying about fifth grade. I get to dig dipper into the things that I teach. I'm not for sure about where you teach, but I only have one con about fifth grade. In our state, fifth does not have a cap so there are more students in the classroom. Besides that no true complaints.
TOY2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

puma24teacher

3rd to 5th
Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm finishing up my first year in 5th grade and have really loved it. I was nervous about making the grade change after 11 years in 3rd. This school year has been a wonderful one. My only suggestion would be to review the math concepts. It really was a challenge to teach all of the math standards.
puma24teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dodgerblue

no wories
Old 05-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I went to fifth grade after teaching 3rd for 9 years. I wouldn't worry about being to babyish, it wont take you long to realize what your kids can do. And a perk for you is your at the same school so chances are you already had some of the kids. The beauty of 5th grade is that they can do a lot more independent work, and discussion groups are better.
dodgerblue is offline   Reply With Quote