Help

Gifted Education

unit on famous artists

>

AngieB.

unit on famous artists
Old 06-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to do a unit on famous artists (Van Gogh, Monet, Degas, etc.) for a 6th grade gifted class. I am completing my endorsement in gifted education in a few weeks, and I will be the 6th grade gifted resource teacher at my school this coming year. I have no materials right now other than the state "standards/outcomes" that I must go by. So, I'm having to create units as I go along. I've seen a unit on "museums" on the "Upstart" website, but that is all I've found. Also, it was quite expensive. I won't be able to get enhancement money for another month or so either. So I certainly don't want to spend any more than I have to out of my own pocket. Has anyone done something similar to this or does anyone have any ideas to share? Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I found this:
Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's called Amazing Artists and it's 16.00 for the download as a .pdf
http://tinyurl.com/2pnerf

The other thing you could do is look at the "what it includes" and just create your own stuff.

As for the Interact Museum one, it's well worth the $50.00 if you have the money to invest at some point. I use Interact units with all my students 1 through 4, and I've used them with fifth and sixth graders as well. They're wonderful!!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you very much, Yesteach. I looked at the website and "Amazing Artists" looks like something I might purchase. I'm glad to know the "Interact" units are worth the money. I plan on getting several of those once I get enhancement money.

yesteach

Interact
Old 07-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you a pullout program or self-contained? The only thing you will want to consider with Interact, is that their "15 lessons" turns into a LONG time when you only meet once a week. I had to leave some out and shorten some... to adapt for pullout.

For Sixth grade we used Flight, Christendom, King Lexicon, Athenian Secret. With fifth I've used Flight also, as well as Pioneers and Math Quest.

My fourth graders this year did S.O.S., Math Quest and Book Mountain (though I would not recommend it for a pullout program, it's better suited for a self contained class), third graders did Weather Detectives, Math Quest and Book Mountain, and my first/second grade group did Into the Unknown, Pilgrims and Kid Town.

AngieB.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are a pullout program, but I will see the students for about 45-50 minutes every day. Where do you find all these? Is there a certain company with a website I can go to, or should I just "Google" the names?
Thanks so much for the information!!

yesteach

Interact
Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They're all Interact units - from the same place you saw the Museum one...

http://tinyurl.com/dqth4

Just type in the names, or use the menus at the left to search through by grade, subject, cost, etc. I've been using Interact units for over 10 years, and love them!

I have a pullout also, but I get each grade (1-4) for five hours one day per week.