4 Day School Week with Everyday Math???? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fifth Grade

4 Day School Week with Everyday Math????

>

cowgirlteach*

4 Day School Week with Everyday Math????
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am at a school with a four day school week and we use Everyday Math. Questions to anyone else with this schedule or have ideas about how to do this:

Do I do a lesson a day still? Will I need to double up on some lessons if it is possible? With such short time when should I do enrichment/review? I would really appreciate any ideas that anyone has. TIA

cowgirlteach* is offline   Reply With Quote

jd019

All day math
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We call Everyday Math "All Day Math" bc if you really followed every detail of the program you would spend all day on it. I think you will have to double up some lessons. Honestly, I skip a lot of things that are really time consuming an opt for more of the enrichment and game aspects of the program. I would look through your teacher manual and highlight things you for sure want to do and look for lessons to combine and things to leave out.
jd019 is offline   Reply With Quote

cooper5

double up
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would definately double up and if you do..... you could do stations during that double block. You teach a small group, another station plays EDM games online, another group practices a skill at their seats. Then rotate...it works well for me.

Good luck!
cooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote

hoku625

Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It would depend upon how much time you are spending on math each day. When we had our furlough Fridays, I did a lesson a day and skipped the American Tour section. I tried to incorporate some of the activities into the daily lessons but that year my class needed a lot of direct instruction.

I have 100 minutes for math so I was able to teach a lesson on the days I gave the unit assessment. The students were also able to play games, etc during RTI time.
hoku625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Maureen

EDM can be done in 4 days
Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been teaching 5th grade EDM in 4 days/week for years. AND, as someone mentioned, I have stations during another time during the day. My stations are Skill Links (copied into student packets) as one of my stations, EDM games as another and I meet with a group. I have the students on a 4 day rotation schedule so I get to see each student in a small group at least once every 4. I also use other stations: online sites (Study Island, Compass Odyssey), grammar games, etc.

For the EDM curriculum - I don't do EVERYTHING in each lesson - not possible. And, I don't do the American Tour lessons. I do skip certain things and teach the concept in my own lesson and don't always use the manual's lesson. I have the students do the Math Box and Study Link page for the lesson each night for HW - this helps to get through the journal pages during my 60 min.

Hope this helps!

Maureen is offline   Reply With Quote

cowgirlteach*

Thanks Maureen
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is what I wanted to hear! Can you give me some more info on your centers? What do you do when you meet with your small group (is that when you do your review?).

Do you ever double up on your lessons?

Thanks again so much!
cowgirlteach* is offline   Reply With Quote

Maureen

Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, I do double up at times. Example - I will teach the adding and subtracting of fractions together since 5th graders understand the concept of +/-. The students are usually asking me 'what about subtraction' before I even get to it so I it makes sense.

I vary (depending on who I'm meeting with) when I meet with my students in small group. I may go over the current concept or problems they are having. I usually am doing a bit of both - spending a min or two re-teaching for those that need it and then giving them a few problems to do while I work with some other students. I also try and differentiate to the higher level for the students that need it or I have them challenge one another if they are 'ok' with everything in math that week.

Do/will you have the small "skill links" booklet? That is a great resource - I copy it for students and they have the pages in a 3-prong folder (half a year at a time). I have them use the page that coincides with the lesson(s) for the week. I also have this as something they can 'go to' if they finish early. It's good for some - always having them 'take out a book to read if you are done early' can get old!

Let me know if you have any further questions - happy to help!
Maureen is offline   Reply With Quote