Help

Fifth Grade

3 questions I need help with...

>

Snappy

3 questions I need help with...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have several questions and I would probably get more responses if I were to have separate threads, but I'm banking on you 5th grade teachers to help me out.

So, here it goes.

1 - Do you have a treasure box for your 5th graders and if so, what do you put in it?

2 - How often do you give extra credit?

3 - Do you allow corrections on work? If so, what is it worth? If the child has already earned an A, do you allow them to correct their errors? When are corrections due?

TIA PT!!

Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Answers for your questions
Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1 - Do you have a treasure box for your 5th graders and if so, what do you put in it?
No. I do not give tokens or candy of any kind at all. I do allow students to earn tickets throughout the week. On Friday, I draw a ticket from random from our Star Student jar where the students drop their tickets as they earn them. The Star Student will receive 2 privileges the following week. (Walk in socks, sit with a friend, lunch in the classroom with a friend, 1st Daily 5 choice, homework pass, etc...) They also get their picture on the wall and fill out the Star Student poster (favorite food, band, book, future job, etc...). The kids LOVE it and it's FREE.

2 - How often do you give extra credit?
I don't.

3 - Do you allow corrections on work? If so, what is it worth? If the child has already earned an A, do you allow them to correct their errors? When are corrections due?
Nope. We can't grade HW anyways in our district, so the only corrections would be on what? Tests?
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

Pattys86

Response
Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello!

1. I did a treasure box for my 6th graders last year. A little backstory....I gave out tickets for good behavior. For example, being one of the first to have books out and waiting quietly, turning in a test signed by a parent, etc...then I drew a ticket and that person got to pick from the Treasure Chest. I basically went to the Dollar Store and cleared them out The candy was the most popular.

2. I gave extra credit if students brought me a 100% on a Review Game from a website. The Review Game was worth 5 points. I also allowed 1 and only 1 ticket (see above) to be stapled.

3. I allowed for corrections on homework. However, I only gave half credit for the corrected problems. I did not allow for corrections on tests unless it was a special circumstance. I only allowed students who received a failing grade to correct the assignment (69%). I make the corrections due the next day.

Hope that helps!
Pattys86 is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Here you go
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No, no treasure box.

No, no extra credit - school policy.

As far as corrections go, it depends on the assignment. I did allow students to re-write classwork assignments on occasion, and if they did, I gave them full credit. I was surprised at how few students took me up on the offer when I gave it.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

02BNHI

5th grade responses
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

1. Nope

2. I don't give extra credit and I share that at Back to School night. It saves me from having to have the conversation with parents who want their child to do extra work and get the "B" converted to an "A" on the report card.

From time to time when we have a random conversation happen in class I'll assign a "Prove It" for HW and it is their job to go online, locate the answer to our classroom question, and report back to class with the answer. This might be worth 5 extra points on their lowest test.

3. We go over corrections together, but it doesn't change the grade.

02BNHI is offline   Reply With Quote

IndyCarTeach

Answers
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

1. Do you have a treasure box for your 5th graders and if so, what do you put in it?

Next year will be my first year teaching 5th but when I taught 4th last year.. I used "bucks" they earned them for different things... and every other week I would open a "store". I only did this for the first semester after that we went to a demerit system that the school uses for 4th through high school. (I teach at a private school)

2. How often do you give extra credit?

It depends on the assignment.. during football season I would give bonus points for the student who would come up to me on Monday and tell me the Colts score from the day before. It was really funny cause I teach in Florida so they had to look for it... our History lessons have a lot of geography and once in a while and my students never know I will count some of the harder ones for bonus. Also in spelling we had 2 states in each list.. and if they know the abbreviation for that state they get bonus points... Math we were constantly learning measurement equivalents grams to decigrams that sort of thing and once in a while I would do bonus.. It just depended but it was never more than 1 or 2 points..

3. Do you allow corrections on work? If so, what is it worth? If the child has already earned an A, do you allow them to correct their errors? When are corrections due?

I only did this a couple times... This once time all of my students did poorly on a math test so I made them so back over it.. and I averaged the 2 grades... Another time I had them just correct it and didnt average them.. I go on a case by case basis.. I have one student who is a little slower and I would have her correct so she would review her mistakes...

Hope this helps...
IndyCarTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

FLNUT

In answer to your question...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do you have a treasure box for your 5th graders and if so, what do you put in it?

I do treasure hunts in the classroom and the kids go crazy for them! I use a basic chart from the teacher store that has 20 slots for them to get 20 bonuses checked off by the end of the month for a treasure hunt. All it consists of is me hiding clues around our classroom that they have to read and answer to find the next until they reach the prize. Prizes can vary by the amounts of kids that month but they love anything when they have to find it. I even throw in academics with the clues and it's fun for them. It starts over every month from zero and I give everyone one the first month so they can see how great it is. Bonuses can be earned for anything you decide, like homework points, using good manners, helping me, using new vocab in their writing, etc.... Possibilities are endless. The one thing I NEVER do is give bonuses for academics. It takes away from the fun of it, especially if you are a lower achieving student
FLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

1 - Do you have a treasure box for your 5th graders and if so, what do you put in it? No, my kids are on an economy system where they earn money, pay bills and fines, and save for a quarter auction where I auction off a bunch of stuff- some purchased some donated.

2 - How often do you give extra credit? Not very often and only for students who are "between grades."

3 - Do you allow corrections on work? If so, what is it worth? If the child has already earned an A, do you allow them to correct their errors? When are corrections due?As a class we go over errors that many students missed. If the student does poorly- I go over some of the questions individually with the student, send them off to correct the rest, and give them half credit for their corrections.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mindajo

my room
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

1--I have a class "store" and my students keep a checkbook (or you could do an online classroom economy). I give money for: good behavior, all homework in, good grades or improvement (depending on student) on tests, winning groups for certain tasks, anything I feel they deserve a reward for. I take money for: not returning HW, important papers, etc., behavior issues, anything I think they should be penalized for. I stock my store with mostly school supplies (which I buy when they're super-cheap at end of summer), and clearance items from Target $1 aisle (I wait till 75% off), my own children's own toys and do-dads, some candy/gum (though I do try to avoid it--it is a fav).

2--I only give extra credit after each unit test in core classes (to improve test grade up to 10 pts.)

3--I only grade work that students have had the opportunity to practice ungraded first. Therefore, when I do grade it--I expect it to be done well. I make students redo D and F papers, but allow them to redo B and C papers if they choose to do so. Some take me up on it, but not many. For students failing to show me they can do the skill independently, I try to squeeze in some 1-on-1 reteaching before they fix the paper. I send home weekly packets with papers graded on Wednesday, and redos are due Friday. I do not allow students to redo "a" papers, but do appreciate the effort when they do.
mindajo is offline   Reply With Quote

Swimmer2905

What I do
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

1. Yes, I have a prize box for my 5th grade students. Each week they can earn tickets. They put their tickets into a bucket for either candy, mystery, or the prize box. My mystery winner gets something different each week (whatever I find at the store, candy, pencils, etc.) The kids love it because they never know what it's going to be. I fill my prize box with a lot of random stuff that I pick up here and there.

2. No, school policy.

3. Yes, I do allow students to correct their work. On tests, I usually reteach/retest or if the kid was just lazy and doesn't study, they get homework to study/review with, are kept in at recess and then retake the test. After once or twice of this, they usually learn to study! For my kids who are truly struggling, I stretch myself to help them and allow them to retest too. Hope that makes sense! I want my kids to know that I care about their grades too and usually they come to me when they aren't happy with their grade.

Swimmer2905 is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have several questions and I would probably get more responses if I were to have separate threads, but I'm banking on you 5th grade teachers to help me out.

So, here it goes.

1 - Do you have a treasure box for your 5th graders and if so, what do you put in it? I put fancy school supplies and random junk drawer kind of stuff. I also send out a note asking for the same type of items to be donated.

2 - How often do you give extra credit? I don't because I'm lazy and struggle to keep up with the every day stuff. Any extra work would push me over the edge.

3 - Do you allow corrections on work? If so, what is it worth? If the child has already earned an A, do you allow them to correct their errors? When are corrections due? Yep they can correct work. They have to do it at school though. I've had a parent or two in the past try to redo every assignment for their child. I give them a day or two--again because of my laziness I figure if they go back over their work its a good thing. They usually asked me for help to figure out what went wrong if they aren't quite sure. It gives me a chance to reteach which is a good thing.

aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Byke

Answers
Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

1. Yes, I do have a "store" for my fifth graders to spend their "bucks" that they earn during the week. THey LOVE coupons! "No shoes for the day" "Change seats with anyone" "Sit at the Teacher's Desk" "Free Restroom Pass" I also have snack stuff that parents donate and very expensive "Extra Recess" passes.

2. No extra credit.

3. All math MUST be corrected every day before they begin the new assignment. No other corrections except during grammar, we do a correction time all together.
Byke is offline   Reply With Quote

annie3

3 questions
Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

1-no, I do not have a treasure box or give out prizes for good behavior. For the last 17 years I worked at a school that (finally) made a policy out of NOT giving candy out. Then, after a staff book study on Punished By Rewards by Alfie Kohn, we worked hard at eliminating stickers/prizes and making learning the prize

2-Occasionally on a math quiz I would offer an extra credit question

3-We correct most math work and homework in class so they get instant feedback. For tests, anyone getting a D or F was given a "corrective" to do at home and a chance to do a retake. Those who got a C were given the choice for the retake. this was done in the few days immediately following the original test.
annie3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lifelonglrnr

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

1 - Do you have a treasure box for your 5th graders and if so, what do you put in it? no

2 - How often do you give extra credit? I don't

3 - Do you allow corrections on work? If so, what is it worth? If the child has already earned an A, do you allow them to correct their errors? When are corrections due? We check all homework together, and it isn't for a grade anyway. I allow students who made below a C on their Math Test to make corrections on those tests. I do give 1 extra point per missed question if their corrections are correct, but they can not get higher than the lowest C in the class. If there are no C's--then they still can't get higher than a C. We go over the entire test so everyone can see where they made their mistakes.
lifelonglrnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Snappy

Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

All of you are awesome! Thank you for responses. I'm becoming a little nervous for the upcoming year and have at least 1000 questions. I'm hoping to get into my classroom in the next few weeks to take home some teacher's manuals to look over.

Thank you for the responses. I think I'll do away with the treasure box (had one for 8 years, but I was in primary). I may start may start or make some coupons for things. Maybe Free Homework passes etc...
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote

5teacher

Questions
Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I know I am a little late but I taught 5th grade for 11 years now. I do tickets instead of a treasure chest as some have mentioned. I randomly pull one of these out. They have a choice of a homework pass, sit with a friend at lunch, switch seats for a day, or 10 points on a test grade. I have these preprinted at vistaprint on business cards. The kids love them. Occasionally, I might have a cool pencil or cnady but mostly just the coupons. They love them.

I don't do extra credit. I do put a bonus on Math, Science, and SOcial Studies tests. You would be surprised how many don't even try the bonus.

I rarely let kids redo their assignments. I think I did it maybe twice this year. If I do it is for 1/2 credit on the problems they miss.

I tell the parents this at open house so they know from the start.
I hope you enjoy 5th grade. It is an awesome grade to teach. I love it.
5teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

azwildcateach

Economy System??
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Sam5,
I would love to know more about your economy system. If you could send me an outline and any files/templates you have that would be great. You can email me at msmiller6#hotmail.com
azwildcateach is offline   Reply With Quote