Would you drive 40 miles for a teaching job? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Would you drive 40 miles for a teaching job?

>

kysub

Would you drive 40 miles for a teaching job?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It would take about 1 hour. Would you drive that far? Pay is $35-38k

kysub is offline   Reply With Quote

xavier

yes
Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is a pretty typical commute for anyone who lives near me. I commuted 45 minutes to college everyday. The job I hope to get is also about that far away, but I would eventually move to that area.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote

relaxing

Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I certainly would. Even if only for a couple of years.
relaxing is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I interviewed last week for a position that is an hour away from me. I'm still trying to decide if I'd actually take the position if it's offered, due to the distance. I think if I had no other options and it was the only job on the table, I probably would. It doesn't mean you have to stay there forever. For me, having health insurance and a steady paycheck would be worth the drive. You also have to consider what type of car you have and how good it is on gas. How much traffic will you run into?
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

caramym

Do it!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have commutted 140 miles roundtrip each day for the last nine years. We don't have any weather, but I'd rather drive the distance than be stuck in traffic. I work on an Army base, so living on the Post isnt an option.

caramym is offline   Reply With Quote

futurebuilder

I drove an hour
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

back and forth last year. A lot of people actually commute that far. It's not that bad.
futurebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

livelong

Yes!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, I would. We live so far out that this commute is the norm for us.
livelong is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Been doing more than that for years.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwi193

Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow. I'm surprised at how many people do that or said they would. For me, I have not applied for anything further than 30 miles away. I also live in Boston, so there are a lot of surrounding cities and towns close by...though not many openings...I would just consider everything.... how much traffic there would be, type of car, pay, etc. Also, be sure to keep in mind what time you have to be there in the morning.
kiwi193 is offline   Reply With Quote

kysub

Me again
Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My home district that I have subbed for for 5plus years is not interested in me. Don't know why. There are no jobs for me around here. This job is across the bridge in another state. My car has 116,000 miles on it. It is 7 years old. But with a teaching job, I could probably buy something newer soon. I have been subbing and making very little.

teacherwriter

An idea to consider
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I grew up in Kentucky, and your last post about having to cross the bridge to another state gave me some clues where you might be. Take a look at morning rush-hour traffic. I'm thinking you might need to head toward downtown somewhere-or-other to get across the river to the other state, and that will mean heavier traffic to contend with every morning. My point is that 40 miles might actually be an hour or 1 hour 15 minutes or more on the road. How will that time on the road affect you and your family? Gasoline will be an issue too. I'm guessing you'll have to fill up every other day, certainly every third. Calculate how many fillups you'd need per month and what that'll cost you. How does that compare to your gasoline bill now?

It's a tough situation. I've been resisting driving so far because I have kids to pick up from school, but...
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

yes
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

i have been applying up to an hr away. Unfortunately... a school called me that was almost 2 hrs away... waaaay too much... Why do the far ones want me.. but no one else? Good luck!
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hopefully

Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I will be driving 24 miles each way in Houston...across town...it doesn't seem like alot, but traffic is horrible so it will take me at least an hour each way.

We are buying a house next year and it will be about 45 miles each way. I figured with all of the layoffs and uncertainty, I might as well live where I want to live and commute.
Hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote

purplecrayon

done the drive
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I drove 40 minutes to work last year - it wasn't all The car ride home was a nice way to decompress. The gas money wasn't ideal. If I it was just me working (and not DH help), I don't know if I could have afforded it - maybe I could have. Some gas insight: My drive was mostly highway, and my car has pretty good gas mileage. I ended up filling up my car every 5-6 days (depending on where I went over the weekend) for about $50. $50 x 5 times a month = $250 a month.
purplecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
JustFinished

JustFinished

Not sure
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I traveled about 30 minutes one way for student teaching. I had to be there at 7:00 everyday, so I left at about 6:20 or 6:25 every morning (in case of delays). That meant I had to be up at 5:30. I also stayed until at least 4:00, usually 4:30 or 5:00. I still had stuff to do when I got home. It was overwhelming, but I would probably do 30 minutes again and be able to handle it. I don't think I'd do any farther than that, but that is just me.

I think it depends on you! Things to think about:

*Family commitment: This drive might be harder if you have kids!
*Activity commitment: Are you involved in activities/volunteer opportunities that you might not be able to do because of time?
*Experience: I feel like this commute would be hard on a first year teacher. The first year of teaching can be stressful, and throwing in a commute might add to the stress.
*Budget: Can you make a budget to see if you can afford the gas? Also, don't forget that your car might need oil changes more frequently because of the miles you put on.
*Job outlook-How is the outlook in your area? It's hard to turn down a job in my area!

Just some thoughts! I don't want to persuade you one way or another because that should be your decision, but I thought I would help by giving you something to think about. Just because I probably wouldn't do it, doesn't mean it is not a good fit for you!

TexasGardener

Yes!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

In this economy, definitely yes! It's a teaching position and many are looking for teaching positions!
TexasGardener is offline   Reply With Quote

ShyMiss

Yes
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Uh-huh. I drive 35. Yet I would add a few more minutes if necessary.
ShyMiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8*Teacher

It depends....
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If I were just starting out and I really wanted to get started, I'd accept the position! You may even consider moving there if you have the opportunity. Think about an economical and reliable car as well.

I think it also depends on where you live! In very large cities or metropolitan areas, it is NOT uncommon to commute. People like living outside the city they commute to each day...it's the norm.

For me, my initial answer would have been no. But, I have also been lucky to work in a 10 mile radius of any school I have taught at. I guess, if I moved to a new state and had to in order to secure a new job....yes, I'd commute!

O.K...Yes, you should drive that far! You can relax and listen to books on tape during the commute or something. Don't forget to plan for delays or weather changes so you're not late! Good luck!
Gr8*Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

justdance

I will take anything
Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

at any pay! Yep, I'm pretty desperate! Just short of moving, I'll travel up to an hour each way. Of course just until I get my feet wet, and then hopefully I will be able to look for something closer eventually. I just keep thinking...nothing lasts forever...and if I actually had to do that it wouldn't be the end of the road, that's it, nothing else to move on to.
justdance is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Honey

How early would you have to get up?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have ruled out a long commute so far because I live in a big city with lots of elementary schools (over 600). I have been lucky enough to always travel "against the traffic" during rush hour for the past 4 years so it hasn't taken me more than 20 minutes to get to work. However, I don't have a job now and my district has been laying off like crazy. I have been pretty selective about school locations thus far.

I am starting to wrap my head around a longer commute. I am still not sure about going across state lines though. I have a 16 year old daughter (single mom) and I have always cherished being able to drop her off at school every morning since she was 18 months old. So any job that interferes with this quality time has been out of the question so far.

My daughter will be a senior in high school in the fall so I will be able to focus more on my career soon.

If I didn't have any children and traffic wasn't a nightmare, I would definitely do it. You could get a new or certified used car that is really good on mileage.
Ms Honey is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I teach in two different states and six different counties. Most of my commutes each day are at least an hour. A couple are a little over that. I think almost anything is possible and I believe you have to go where the opportunities are.

Of course if you have solid options closer to home, those should be considered first. I sometimes wish I could teach closer to home, but I go where the opportunities are.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Not anymore
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I used to drive 45 minutes to school. I got used to it, and actually enjoyed the time in the car to plan my day, and decompress on the way home. It helped me to separate work and home life.

But now I have a child at home. No more long drives for me. I am want to get into a school that is less then 1/2 hour from home. (I do live in a rural area, so a 1/2 hour drive includes only about 6 elementary schools.)
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

allithird

I drive 46 miles
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I drive 46 miles round trip each day to school and back. Audio books help make the time go faster when I sit in traffic, sometimes for an hour and 20 min.
allithird is offline   Reply With Quote

micteacher

Yes, it could lead to something else!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

My first teaching job was an hour away and at a private school, so it didn't pay well. It gave me the teaching experience schools are looking for and after a year there, I got a job closer to home at a public school. My advice, if you don't have prior teaching experience, think of it as a temporary position until you find something closer.
micteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kysub

Yes I need experience.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

My 11 and 12 year old sons would go with me to the job. It is at a private school. I have not taught in over 12 years. No district around here is calling me. The bad part is the drive and having to be there at 7:15. Which means a 6:15 departure time for us. My husband is the breadwinner, so it is not like we are starving, however, I have nothing saved for college for the boys. There are numerous home improvement projects around here too.