Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Show and Tell

>

Sunny Side

Show and Tell
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey All,
I teach PreKindergarten in a small, private academy. I was wondering how you all handle show and tell? It's the bane of my existence! I wanted to do away with it completely a few years ago, but a friend who is the head of curriculum development for our areas #2 ranked public school nixed that idea. He said there are too many great educational reasons to keep it...so, I've been trying to figure out a way to make it less painful.
I found this site, and like the idea- http://www.kindergarten-lessons.com/show_and_tell.html
but wonder how some of you do it.

Sunny Side is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwilemon

Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like this idea!

What I am doing this year:

Each child is assigned a day of the week. Each week is assigned a show and tell. So for the first week we will tell something about our summer vacation. Each day 4-5 kids will share. They can tell something or bring a picture. I do not have the whole year planned out, but sometimes it may have to do with bringing in something that starts with our letter of the week. Sometimes it may be bringing in a certain number of something.
I do share at morning meeting time. I give each child 2 minute to speak. They can call on 2 kids for questions. I do not usually allow them to pass the item around because that takes forever. Sometimes if they want they can walk around with it, but no touching, because, again, that takes too much time.
I have sent countless letters home about not bringing in toys, and more and more parents send bigger and bigger toys as the year goes on. So, by assigning things, it eliminates some of the toys children bring.
kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessy

Old 07-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I stopped doing show and tell because I found it to be painful also. There are lots of ways for the students to share thoughts and ideas and to have their turn speaking. However, kiwlemon's way of doing it sounds really good.
Tessy is offline   Reply With Quote

nikanj28

Show and Tell
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I visited a classroom where the teacher did a show and tell "can". It was an old coffee container. She outside was now decorated. Two children had taken the can home the night before and chose anything to show and tell that they wanted as long as it fit in the can. The student stood up in front of the class and gave 3 clues (hopefully written with the help of a parent at home) before having other children guess what the object was. When the object was guessed the student took it from the can (no passing the object around), described more about what it was and why they chose it, then said, "I'm ready for questions and comments." It seemed to move pretty quickly, the children were engaged the entire time and the size of the can would limit what children were able to bring to school. Besides building their vocabulary and inviting kids to think about what kinds of things would be important to know in order to make a good guess they also were learning about the difference between questions and comments at the end.
nikanj28 is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 07-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Add me to the list of teachers who do not like it. I just do it about 4 times a year (on early release days) which were going to be wacky days anyway (they get to wear free dress instead of uniforms, etc.)

I am planning to try this idea this year: http://educationalcreativity.blogspo...prise-box.html

learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunny Side

Good idea!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like that idea too.
Sunny Side is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherof2's

Good ideas
Old 07-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been debating the show & tell subject myself. My plan was to have one day per month (Fun Friday) as show & tell day. Learntogether I like the box idea, may just try that one! Thanks!
teacherof2's is offline   Reply With Quote

vacation

Sharing bag goes home with special helper
Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use a sharing bag. It is a draw string bag (like a gym bag) When you are special helper you take it home and bring in your sharing. I have a letter that goes home explaing sharing (no toys please). Then the bag goes home with the next child and they are special helper the following day. Works great and I have never lost a sharing bag.
vacation is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

vacation
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Love the sharing bag idea. That way it will fit easily into backpacks (for sending home empty).
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Julie

Show and Share
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my school, the child that brings snack each day also gets to bring a show and tell item. We, too, have a sharing bag that the item is brought in to help regulate the size (and it deters children from bringing pets and relatives to share!) The children tell something about their item and potentially demonstrate it, then call on 5 classmates to ask questions. They usually ask if they sleep with it, where they got it, where they keep it, if it has a name, and if it can go in the bath tub.

I would love to see your letter discouraging toys as I seem unable to effectively convey that message to parents. Most of the time my students bring in stuffed animals, toys or books. I try to read a passage from the books (if they are appropriate) and encourage children to check the library for the title if they are interested in hearing more.

I keep show and tell very brief as I only get three hours a day to fit everything in.

Ms Julie is offline   Reply With Quote

Adelie

Show and Tell
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We don't have any scheduled Show and Tell. We only have 3 hours, and we did try to fit it into our morning meeting time, but at this age, that time is supposed to be quick and short and sometimes the S&T took the whole time. Now, if a child did something special at home, or went somewhere special and has a souvenier/pictures, they just bring them in and share. Last year, I think we ended up with about 4 children the whole year who brought something in once. I think this is more authentic: "Hey, my family did something cool and I want to tell you about it." rather than, "Today, I had to bring in something that starts with B, so last night my mom and I hunted around the house to find something, and today I can't even remember what it is!"
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote