The Job Search

Job Market in TN?

>

AW

AW

Job Market in TN?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've subbed for three years in the Pacific NW. With no job offers in this area I'm intrigued with the state of TN. How is the job market in TN? When does the school year end and start? Thanks!

savillia

In TN...
Old 01-22-2006, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just out of curiousity , why are you intrigued w/ TN? I moved here over 3 years ago, and I will be moving away this summer. I moved to eastern TN, so I can only speak to that area, and what I have heard of other areas.Here, they seem to hire very late in the summer (around June or so). A lot about this area (state?) is who you know...you know the "good ol' boys" network. It is a difficulty transition when you come from outside of the area (especially if you're from the north..luckily I came from the west as well). I worked outside of the field for awhile when I arrived here b/c of the late hiring dates. I am currently teaching, however. If you moved to the Memphis area (from what I have heard) there are many jobs if you are willing to work inner-city. Not sure about Nashville....
savillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.B

Memphis
Old 01-23-2006, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My hubby and I lived in Memphis for a year. We were downtown and absolutely loved it! The preppy suburban schools didn't have many openings due to budget cuts. I had some interviews but no offers. I didn't look into the city schools. I found a great job across the border in AR. I don't think the teaching market is booming-I just lucked out!
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote
passion2tch

passion2tch

Don't Teach In Memphis
Old 02-16-2006, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I came from the inner city and taught at a title 1 and reading first school. I moved there and lasted one year. If I were you, I would not go to Memphis. I don't know about Nashville but the Memphis City Schools are a degrace. There is no leadership or support at all. Currently, I teach in Texas and its also a Title 1 school and it is much better. We have an excellent staff, great resources, and dedicated administration. My experience in Memphis scared me and caused me to hate getting up everyday and hating what I do. It was not the children but the ADMINISTRATION!! They have no clue. I wish you luck on your endeavors.