SRA-imagine it! Plus scheduling concern.. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fifth Grade

SRA-imagine it! Plus scheduling concern..

>

WebJunkie

SRA-imagine it! Plus scheduling concern..
Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use this reading program? Our county just adopted it and I have to use it for 5th grade. I also am going to be required to teach grammar/spelling OR writing to 2 more sections of students in my 70 minute Social Studies classes. I am wondering if
1- Do you have time to do literature circle groups with novels and teach the SRA series "with fidelity" and
2- If you had to choose to teach language arts vs writing to 90 students (which would be my 3 classes) what would you choose? Im a little intimidated by the large numbers of students if I were to teach writing. Its a daunting thing to think about.
My schedule would look a lot like this:
Class 1- Homeroom: SRA reading
Class 2- Social Studies (50 minutes) Language Arts or Wtg (20 minutes)
Class 3- Social Studies " " " " " "
Class 4- Social Studies same as above

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

WebJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

dlynneteacher

Social Studies
Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry I don't know anything about SRA reading.

It seems to me that writing would be hard to fit into just 20 minutes. I teach a writing workshop and I can't see less than 30 minutes. I teach writing for 45-60 minutes. I can see language arts-I am assuming you mean grammar- taught in 20 minutes. But you would need to give a lot of homework after a 10 minute or so mini lesson.

You could implement writing into your social studies curriculum. You can teach writing summaries, nonfiction, biography & autobiography, etc.
dlynneteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
dlynneteacher
Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM
This message has been deleted by dlynneteacher.

Math Momma

Old 06-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

SRA is that direct instruction reading or something else? I would agree w/ the other post that LA would definitely be the way to go. I don't see that as enough time to teach writing at all.
Math Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

Sra
Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do all of your kids have to do SRA? Can the higher kids do a novel study? We used SRA but only for our struggling readers...in addition to the core reading curriculum. I would choose writing and incorporate the spelling and grammar within the writing...something like a writer's workshop maybe.
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

lifelonglrnr

I just finished my first year with it.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our county adopted it last year. Let me just start by saying that it is VERY time consuming. To answer your questions...
1- Do you have time to do literature circle groups with novels and teach the SRA series "with fidelity"?
***I did not do literature circles until after the FCAT (our standardized testing). I still had time to do read aloud and different activities with that. We were told we had to teach to "fidelity". It is hard to grasp at first because there are so many components to the series. By the 2nd nine weeks I felt better...and each week got a little better.
2- If you had to choose to teach language arts vs writing to 90 students (which would be my 3 classes) what would you choose? Im a little intimidated by the large numbers of students if I were to teach writing. I would definately teach writing. But, I taught 4th grade for several years and love teaching writing. I did writer's workshop, so I would incorporate grammar with my mini-lessons.
Hope this info helps!

lifelonglrnr is offline   Reply With Quote

TraddStLovely

Imagine It!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Imagine It! is SRA's newest edition of Open Court Reading. Just like Open Court it has many, many components and can be very time consuming. In my school, I have been able to select four of the six units to teach, one per quarter. This leaves me time to do novel studies and lit circles.

As for the language arts vs. writing question, I think I would probably do both, but alternate days. Or go with a writing workship-style set-up and teach your LA through mini-lessons.
TraddStLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
jh9

jh9

Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teach the program as written with fidelity for best results. The green section and the red section should take you no more than an hour to do. Do literature circles when finished but make sure the books you choose go along with the theme. Also I would choose writing over language arts. You can easily integrate the language arts in while teaching writing. In Florida where I teach writing is tested in 4th, middle school (can't remember what grade) and again in 10th grade so writing is very important for us.

DinoTeacher

4th Grade SRA Reading Lab set-up!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my first year with Imagine It! I ( like many of my colleagues...am lost). We've even had training (particularly on the tech side). I need a break down for fourth grade!! I have Benchmark tested all students for grammar, comprehension, fluency, etc. BUT... how do I know which students need to use which section of the SRA reading LAb? I have NO teacher editions or anything else in the kit! All I have is the great big kit!!! Please give me input! Am a Master teacher who is stressing!!! HELP!!
DinoTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote