Help

ESL/LEP

Adult ELL Classes- Advice Needed

>

Inspire716

Adult ELL Classes- Advice Needed
Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone, I will be starting to teach ELL adults English and I am looking for advice on the best way to go about teaching them.

As an elementary teacher I am used to using cute activities to help the students learn but I am not sure how to approach teaching adults. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make adult education interesting without coming off as silly? Also, does anyone have any suggestions of what assessments/books/curriculum/ websites/or materials to use to help teach them English?

Thank you in advance!

Inspire716 is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

Old 09-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have never taught adults, how fun! It seems like you can still use cute activities with adult themes. People want to enjoy their learning experience, well, most people do. Sorry I don't have any good suggestions. I'd probably still use cooperative learning structures and a lot of role playing. One assessment I've wanted to look at a little more is from Santillana Publishing Co. called English Benchmark Assessments. I really don't know much about it, but I'm interested.
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

hms

ESL for Adults
Old 09-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have taught Adult ESL for a couple of years. The book that we use is called side by side. We just use the textbook and the workbook. They have audios tapes and videos too. Grouping them is good. I usually paired them up so that they can talk to eachother when doing an assignment. Keep the "cute activities", it will make it more interesting. I have had to teach the alphabet and vowel sounds to them so you can get cute with them. Have a lot of dialogue in the class going on. Last year we changed our curriculum to focus on what they wanted to learn. We did themes like doctor visit, restaurants, schools (parent teacher conference), and travel. We had three teachers. One would focus on dialogue and role play. I did that one and I would dress up like a doctor for them. The other teacher focused on grammar and the third focused on technology - using the computer to look up webmd or booking a flight.
hms is offline   Reply With Quote