Help

ESL/LEP

1st grade ESL lessons

>

RaceFan18

1st grade ESL lessons
Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you find the most successful methods/strategies in teaching 1st grade ESL classes? I want to make sure my 1st grade students get the help they need with vocabulary. However, the majority of them are really struggling with their reading in the regular classroom. I want to help them with their word families, etc., but still incorporate vocabulary lessons and other more ESL type things. I have a very limited amount of time each week to do all of this (40 minutes twice per week)! Any suggestions for some fun lessons/strategies that would incorporate all or most of these things would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Esl
Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What are the regular teachers doing to promote language development? They should already be doing a lot of GLAD strategies which help not only their ESL students but all their other students as well. You can also do the GLAD strategies in your small groups, such as visuals and pictorials with labels, process charts/grids, chants, cloze and sentence starters, sentence patterning, cognitive content dictionary, mind maps, etc.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2Read3

Glad?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Would you mind sharing more about Glad? I have an ESl student in my class this year (1st grade) and not sure where to start! Any suggestions would help! Thanks!
Luv2Read3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Luv2Read3
Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

GLAD comes from Project G.L.A.D. which is Guided Language Acquisition Design. It is great for English language learners as well as for the other students in the classroom.

The strategies are very visual with charts, chants, and pictorials, and lend themselves to vocabulary, language, and content area development.
You can Google different sites that have pictures of the strategies ("GLAD strategies"). I found one that can give you an idea of what it might look like in first grade. I'm sure you already do some of them and may know them by different names.

<http://www.lausd.net/Malabar_EL/gladstrategies/gladstrategies.htm>

What level is your one ESL student?
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote