The Job Search

Want to Teach English Overseas

>

Nan

Nan

Want to Teach English Overseas
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok I have an Elementary Ed degree and an Associate degree in Business. I will soon be 50. Now single and have raised the children and they are out of the nest. I have worked as a sub, daycare, educational assistant and jobs out of the education area. I have sent applications for over 10 years out of state to find teaching jobs and never had an interview (even California and Florida). I considered returning to school to get certified in Special Education - but know of people unemployed with that certification also. So recently I have been thinking about teaching English overseas - I actually want to teach adults - not children. I am looking at either China or Korea. I have heard Japan has a good job market - but prefers young teachers. If anyone can give me any more information or websites of good places to look or work I would appreciate it. I know there are some scams out there. Also I need to make money - not volunteer - even save money. I have looked alot at ESL Cafe and other sites. I would really like to talk to some people who have actually taught overseas. Thank you.

AW

AW

Japan
Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only know about Japan. I had a friend who did it years ago with Aaon and loved her experience. She is half Japanese and had family there she never met before.

I also have a friend studying here but is from Japan. She wanted me to do a program called JET, but that is mostly for school age kids. I think?

I think Japan has the best market from the little bit of research I did. Plus I think they are the friendliest to outsiders. You might want to research their culture and see what is the best fit for you. Do you want to sight see while you are there? What kind of culture experience are you looking for? I think you should go for it! I recommend going with the intention of staying min. of 2 years. After one year you are just settling in.

I paid for plane tickets, car rentals, and hotel for Texas and Florida and didn't get anything either. You are not alone!

Good Luck!
expat back

expat back

Old 02-08-2006, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've just returned from living ten years in Britain, and I had to re-train to teach over there through the university system, then taught English in both private and state sector schools. I have friends who have gone to teach overseas, and one of them did a couple of years in Japan. It is the place with the best market, and the best conditions. The JET programme is only one of several - NOVA is another one. These types of programmes often advertise in the London, UK newspaper classifieds, like www.Telegraph.co.uk, or www.Times.co.uk. Be very careful when accepting a position, and try to get one where THEY pay your airfare out and back. The wage package offered should include accommodation, and try to get a position in a rural school if possible, not in Tokyo. Good luck.

A good website for discussion of teaching abroad is www.tes.co.uk, and look for the chat rooms.
Nan

Nan

Thanks for the info
Old 02-20-2006, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Good info - anyone else have anything to add?