The Job Search

what principals look for

>

Rachel L

Rachel L

what principals look for
Old 10-12-2005, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm still in college and have a few more years before I graduate and have to start looking for a full-time teaching job. But still, I want to make sure I'm doing things to where principals would want to hire me. I currently am going full-time to college while working as an after school nanny. I've had previous jobs as a day care teacher and preschool teacher, which were part-time. I work during the summer as a day camp counselor for preschool age children and also work winter camp during christmas vacation, and have volunteered previously with church programs with kids. I also am an officer in my university's future educators's society. However, because of my class schedules of education classes being offered only in the afternoon and evening I won't be able to work during the school year like I have in the past. So I am wondering if principals will care if you have had a job consistenly all through college or not? I've done lots of things with kids, so I would hope I would be able to get a job when I finish college based on that. Plus, by then I'll have student teaching experience. What do you think?

AD

What I Would Do...
Old 10-12-2005, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From my experience they care mostly about your student teaching experience and any teaching after that. You may want to pick a couple of your college jobs (those most pertinent to teaching) and include them on your resume when you start looking for your first job. Eventually once you have more experience in the classroom whether it be subbing, long term subbing, or your own classroom you can delete your college jobs and keep the focus on your teaching experience.

I included my college job on my first resume, because it was pertinent to teaching. Now that I have taught summer school, had a long term sub position, and now have my own classroom I wouldn't include my college job.

Good luck!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote