Help

Fifth Grade

13 Colonies Project

>

cbaker13

13 Colonies Project
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in my 2nd year teaching, but my first year in 5th. Rather than teaching from my book (which covers FAR more than what I need to cover, per my Ohio state standards) I am looking for a fun project that covers the 13 Colonies. Does anyone have anything that they can suggest? The chapters I'm looking to replace with this project are "Building the First Colonies" and "The Thirteen Colonies". We have computer lab time every week I can use as well as Promethean Boards. Any ideas?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

cbaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

3 ideas from 5th grade class I helped as Aide
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Each small group can research a few famous Americans from that time period, like Ben Franklin. They can get the research from the computer, write about them, print out pictures, etc. Present it together.

Another one is write an old fashioned letter to the king(for example, protesting taxes on tea) on old paper....Or make an oldfashioned newspaper from from that time period, a colonial newspaper.
You can make the paper old by burning the edges for them, or having them stain them in coffee/tea at home.
My own idea is they could make comicstrips illustrating one of the historical events they learn about.

Have a tea party at the end of the unit in the classroom, with hot tea or icedtea and other goodies.

History Alive uses a Tugofwar activity to demonstrate the revolutionary war.

Last, read one of the America Girl books to them, about Felicity(the girl who lived in that time period), or read those books with the class/small groups. Or just put that collection/series out for them to read on own.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl415

what I do
Old 10-19-2011, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just finished the colony project in my classroom actually. Each year, I split the colonies and classes into the 3 sections - New England, Middle, Southern - and assign one section to each student. They then are responsible for researching outside of what we cover in the book about their colonies. They must build a 3-D model of the colony and then be able to explain why they included what they did and how it was important to their colonies. The project is completely done outside of the classroom, but you could have it done inside the classroom just as easily. The kids love doing the project and love learning about the colonies.

While we are studying the colonies, I aslo have the kids create a travel journal as a colonist who left England and is traveling to America. They are assigned a character who has kids, a certain career, limited luggage, and a set amount of money. They must write about why they are moving, what they will take, how their family feels, how the trip goes, and what they will do in the new land. Halfway through the trip, I also randomly assign problems or good things that happen along the way such as getting sick, losing money, losing a family member, finding money, etc. The kids really get into this project as well and I can get a history grade as well as a writing grade with one activity.
dutchgirl415 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachme

Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the first colonies there is a great Jamestown website that the kids love, it is a survival game and very informative. Not sure when you are teaching this but Scholastic also has a great interactive website for Plymouth. I know it is available near Thanksgiving but might be on there year-round. I use EdHelper.com for info on Roanoke. After info is gathered on all three, we do a sort. I have short statements prepared and they sort into the appropriate colony.
I've tried a few things for the 13 colonies. Last year each student chose a colony and created a brochure and the year before we created billboards. Each was written as a persuasive piece, encouraging British to move to their particular colony by including info on natural resources, climate, and job opportunities.
Good Luck!
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote

teachme

great book
Old 10-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I forgot to mention, we also read Blood on the River which I highly recommend!!!!!

teachme is offline   Reply With Quote

5teacher

travel journal
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the travel journal idea. Do you make up names of people? Do you have some things on paper you could send me? Sounds awesome.
5teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl415

Travel journal
Old 10-21-2011, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't have anything on my computer - it is all copied from an activity I got from a former history teacher. If I can get it to scan, I will try to upload it. The only thing the kids get is their job title, family size, luggage limits, and money. I put the cards in a basket and they have to blindly pick. They are allowed to make up their names and ages, I just tell them they have to be at least 20 years older than their first child. I also let them decide if they want to write as the husband or the wife's point of view.
dutchgirl415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2BTeaching

The project sounds very engaging...
Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you scan the documents can you please send the file to me via e-mail?
Thanks so much!
DLP1122#aol.com
Luv2BTeaching is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrmybiz

I'd love it too
Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Very intrigued about the travel journal activity too! I'd love the scan if you can get it to work.
kidsrmybiz is offline   Reply With Quote