Help

Gifted Education

What Gifted Programs do you use?

>

Crystal

What Gifted Programs do you use?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We currently have "Mapping the World By Heart" and "Caesar's English". I am just wondering what else is out there. I want to hear about all of them; but I would especially like to know about grammar and all other ELA programs. TIA!!

Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote

alittleperil

Some good books I use
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Unfortunately, we don't have full Programs that we use, as the district has left us to our own devices for creating gifted curriculum, and told us that we have to use the same stuff all our average classes are using- so we're inventing as we go! But, I've found some good things to use on my own- "Daily Word Ladders" by Scholastic are great vocabulary and spelling activities. "Scrambled Word Building" by Learning Resources is another great way for gifted kids to see and focus on specific spelling patters, and they love figuring out the secret word! I subscribe to Studies Weekly for Science and Social Studies- they're a newspaper that hits 100% of our Florida standards (check and see if they do the same for your state), and for around 5 bucks a student, it gives them the challenge of extra hands on experiments, alternative ways to assess what they know, connections to other parts of the curriculum, and an increased reading level. Also LOVE the Evan-Moor "Pockets" series- there are Literature Pockets, History Pockets, Monthly themes Pockets ,etc... Each theme has a book that the students make, with a pocket on each page. They fill these pockets with hands on activities and projects, anywhere from map making to artwork... GREAT way to give them a way to express themselves as gifted learners and still have them engaged in meaningful learning! The HIstory Pockets are my favorite, though the Tall Tales one is quite fun too!

Hope this helps! :-)
alittleperil is offline   Reply With Quote

sophiamom

LA programs
Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you ever looked that the materials published through Kendall Publications for The College of William and Mary? They have literature units for gifted students from 3rd grade through high school levels. The materials are great!
sophiamom is offline   Reply With Quote