Help

Gifted Education

Won grant to begin GT program! Need advice

>

I <3 READING

Won grant to begin GT program! Need advice
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are super excited to have won a grant for our school that will lead to the start of a GT program. Currently, we are using the funds to educate ourselves on what GT education looks like, considering we do not have a program in our district. We have formed a small PLC that has thus far attended our state conference on gifted education and contacted a staff developer to come address the staff. Now we are looking for a good book to study. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on where we should go next?? (We are a Pre-K-4 school in an urban setting. We have a large population of Spec Ed and ELLs.)

I <3 READING is offline   Reply With Quote

magoosmom

Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would consider which kind of giftedness you will be addressing first, because that will determine your screening process. I know a lot of schools look for students who are academically gifted--the "cream of the crop" from the classrooms. My district identifies intellectually gifted, which is based on IQ and does not necessarily mean a student can or will do well in a classroom. That will also help you determine what kind of services you want to offer. If it's academically gifted, you will probably want to focus on increasing the rigor and complexity of classroom lessons to provide a challenge for students who already know the material. With our intellectual program, we focus on critical and creative thinking, teamwork, research and communication, and becoming an independent learner. With that focus, it doesn't matter as much if the students are at the top of the academic ladder, because it's more on processing skills.

Good luck!
magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I would suggest
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hoagie's Gifted site, they have a page that is specifically books for professionals working with gifted students. Dig around through everything else there. Also, they have a twitter account, and Carolyn tweets incessantly (that's almost not an exaggeration!) and her tweets are always questions to discuss, resources to consider or information websites/videos. #HoagiesGifted (it's an "at" sign, but PT changes it to a # sign) is the twitter account.

I would agree with what the PP said about decided WHAT sort of program you want. Ours is a mix of the two, and we spend class time on academics, and much of the creative/critical is spent on independent projects guided in the classroom, but completed outside.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

I <3 READING

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the suggestions. Will discuss with the team and will definitely check out the site.
I <3 READING is offline   Reply With Quote