Help

Fifth Grade

1st year teacher

>

campgirlie

1st year teacher
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am looking for suggestions please!! I am starting fresh this year and am in an inner city 5th grade. Any suggestions on how to get off on the right foot? I know the first few days are crucial. Help!!

campgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote

ITEACH02

Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You must be firm and consistent. Practice routines and procedures a lot! We had to have scheduled times for the first 30 days of school where we had to be practicing routines and procedures. I worked in an inner city school for 4 years. I, however, taught 2nd grade. The 5th graders had a lot of attitude. You have to be the authority figure, but they have to also see that you care about them and can make learning fun. The school I was at had a lot of negative home influence so I had to reel them in and let them know that I was there for them. Plan out everything you want and remember that if you give an inch they will take a mile. I don't know how much that really helps. If you have any more specific questions PM me.
ITEACH02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bannister

Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been an inner city teacher for 17 years, but the highest I've taught is 3rd.

Kids can smell fear so get it in your head right now to start firm (only half kidding about the fear part). It is much easier to loosen up as the year goes on than to try to regain control once you've lost it. You are no one's friend in the beginning. New teachers often want to rush the routine building and get right into the fun stuff. That's a huge mistake. Without discipline in the classroom, no learning will take place no matter how well planned your lessons are.

I suggest reading Wong's The First Days of School if you haven't already done so.
Bannister is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. H WI

first year
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I began my first year at an inner city middle school. The ideas posted here are wonderful. The Harry Wong book is great. Remember you are their teacher not a gimme store!
Have a great year.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H WI is offline   Reply With Quote

cbaker13

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I started out in the inner city with 6th graders. I am literally 120 pounds and white. If anyone should have failed it's me. But I went in there like I knew what I was doing, was consistent, and didn't back down. I loved that first class SO much.

Whole Brain Teaching is the best thing. They might not want to buy in, but they will. It gives them time to talk, move, but under YOUR direction.

I use a classroom economy. They LOVE that. If you can get your hands on cheap school supplies, books, little trinkets, let them earn money and spend it. I pay them for classroom jobs, getting compliments, lots of stuff. But I also don't hesitate to fine them for lip smacking, eye rolling, etc. They don't like to give up their money. I also let them save up for things like eating lunch with me, homework pass, etc.

cbaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote