The Job Search

trouble with interviews / getting hired whoas

>

markmdfw

still no job : Why can't I get a teaching job
Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey Everyone,

I am having a down day with school starting and new teacher days starting and I have not gotten a job.

It is weird because, I feel like I interview well have 2 years of substitute teaching. Work well with others. Have had a successful career in Creative Technology. I also have worked as a recruiter.

I have had 5 interviews and got one rejection letter, and 2 emails. Still waiting on the last two to get back with me.

I am at at a loss, IT could be I am alt. Cert. or something they don't see me as a typical teacher type.

I am discouraged, I could go back into the old career. I really do not want to I want to teach. IS there any-thoughts from you guys on this process. How should I follow up with the 30 plus principals I applied to across several types of districts. Should I show up in person. Email them again? call? or all of the above.

What did you all do that worked? How do you follow up your interviews? no news is not good news is it.

I almost feel like giving up and going back into business where I can make a lot of money.

I feel like I am getting dismissed when I know I can help the students from my substituting experience.

Thank you,
Mark

markmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachwLove

Stand out from the herd
Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Mark,

I can't speak from experience searching for an el ed job, but I have hired teachers in a prior job and I have job-hunted for college teaching jobs. My very first job, I showed up in person and the hiring coordinator was in need of a teacher, so I got it. Of course I always spent oodles of time on my resume, application, etc. I also do HR in my current job and I will say that people who stand out from the other applicants are more likely to get the interviews and jobs.

If you have an IT background, I would really play that up and maybe even send in a disk with something fancy to show off your stuff.

Anyhow, I'll be job hunting next year, so I haven't actually traveled your path yet. I am a career changer and hope the hiring committees will value those of us with so much life experience to share. Best wishes to you!
TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

mentorteach

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mark, further detail on why you perceive people not thinking of you as the "teacher type" would be appreciated. As far as what I have done to get the positions in education that I have wanted over the past 12 years:

--Aggressively made getting a teaching job my #1 priority; treating it like a full-time job (mass mailings, job fairs, new suits, hairstyle, etc., internet research on the various schools and systems to which I want to apply, direct mailing to principals at the best schools so that my resume and materials are on-hand when they need to fill an opening)

--Started early, in the winter months, so as to get early hire contracts

--Thoroughly practiced interview questions, scenarios, etc. with teacher friends

--Bought or checked out teacher resume and cover letter books to craft dynamic pieces that were both professional and eye-catching

--Checked copiously for spelling and grammar errors and had 3-4 coworkers help

--Did not low-ball myself by applying to back-up openings for which I had no real interest; FYI: Once you get a coveted job in a nice school system and do well, you can move wherever you want and keep getting jobs

I generally do not believe that accepting sub positions (unless you're still in grad school) is a good idea, as school administrators begin to see you as a "good sub" and not as a classroom teacher. I myself got a B.A. in History, then took a year to complete a M.Ed. in graduate school, going full time so that I could be done with student teaching in time for hiring season. I did sub on-and-off during my senior year of college and the first semester of grad school. It helped me to decide on elementary and not secondary, as well as get real-world experience with the type of manager I wanted to become in my own classroom.

With IT experience, perhaps you are best qualified to be a Computer Technology teacher in an elementary school.
mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote

markmdfw

more info on figuring out my misteps
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mark,

I feel like that is it with out the degree, and not alot of student teaching I think that is holding me back most of all.

The substitute thing is also in question. I tried this to see if I felt like teaching not every been in a education environment since graduating.

I keep getting the we choose an experienced person or went with someone who was fully certified.

I use to think I would be given the option to teach now I am not so sure. I can not be unemployed forever that the problem.

I have found it hard to get a job, in big / small, rich / poor districts.

I have not been selective on positions because I would be happy teaching many subjects and grades.

This is my second year trying for a teaching job with alt. cert. science 4-8.
Thanks for your advice!

markmdfw

How to stand out.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds great, I also have recruited and worked in HR. I not really sure why I have not landed a position. I get the we went with a more experience person or went with someone else. I feel like there is something I am not doing or seeing .

After many turndowns, I am less confident now and that doesn't help me either.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

TeachwLove

Hard to say...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's hard to say why one doesn't get the job...Have you had friends of yours looking over your resume, etc.? Are you debriefing after your interviews? I feel for you...I wouldn't care to return to my old field either after doing all the work getting certified.

It may be a numbers game...I hear a lot about the tight, competitive job market. But if you keep trying, you're bound to land a position. It only takes one! I do wish you the best.
TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

linny22

Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You need to be more aggressive, you won't get any jobs by just sitting by the phone waiting for them to call. I know, because I did this all summer and never had an interview! Who cares if they find you annoying, they are annoying for not calling. Do what you gotta do if you really want this job. Email them, call them, visit them.... Hope it works out for you!
linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

Mentorteach
Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I've been out of work for over a year now (leave of absence finishing my degree) and if I don't get something this school year, I'll HAVE to sub. I don't think there is anything wrong with subbing. I see your point, but fortunately, not all schools/administrators are like that---not hiring subs because they are good for subbing only. Subbing will gain me some experience that I haven't had...and even though I'm not a 'spring chicken' and have been working in the schools, it may steer me to one age group over another, etc...although I am EC SPED, which encompasses preschool---third or fourth grade, normally.

I will NOT take a job as a para though. I have been one for 12 years and while I functioned as a teacher for the most part, my pay was very low and I really feel that in order to get the powers that be to think of me as a cert, I need to take only cert. positions. That is not to say I would not take a position that wasn't my 'dream' job to get in the door. I think most teachers end up doing this.
newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote

markmdfw

Thanks, I'll try annoying in a proffesionalw
Old 08-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

IN a professional way I become annoying, and might I say thanks for the support, advice and so on! Good Luck!

OZZY

Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hang in there. I also have not been hired yet and I have exper and teach in an area of need. I send thank you letters immediately-I ask about their timeline so I know where I stand.
If you have a passion for education; stick w/ it. You're not alone

OZZY is offline   Reply With Quote

mathteachernw

"and teach in an area of need."
Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ozzy - what area of need?
I am certified in Math 7-12th grade and have been hired for 6th grade math/reading.
I can't get an interview for math even though it seems like every district around here has a shortage.
mathteachernw is offline   Reply With Quote

markmdfw

Re: trouble with interviews / getting hired whoas
Old 08-13-2007, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

New teachers start tomorrow, and I got 2 more no's today.
One chance left! I have been this upset in a long long long time.
Maybe I want it too much, is that possible.

Mark

markmdfw

NO JOB . Time to Pray(Now What)
Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I got all no's from the 5 interviews. What a blow! Now what? Help?

n2n2n2n

Re: trouble with interviews / getting hired w
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Regroup!

Is it possible to ask for a debriefing?
The folks who interviewed you would sit down and talk about how the interview went and where you could enhance your resume, interview skills etc.
Do you know a principal well enough to frankly ask them what you need to do to get a job?

I am totally unfamiliar with the "alternate certification" route but if it means you have little to no opportunities to student teach I would suggest you find ways to create these opportunities for yourself. It may mean volunteering in a classroom on a weekly basis or for a one-time special project. It may mean approaching the schools or YMCA or municipal parks and rec department or community college and offering an after school or weekend club for kids -- Computer Club etc.

I understand you have a couple years of supply teaching. Are those one day jobs or long term occasional teaching?
Are you familiar with curriculum outcomes?
What courses are you currently taking to make yourself more marketable to future employers?

Don't give up.
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

markmdfw

Re: trouble with interviews / getting hired w
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I will ask about what they see or don't see in me, and what it takes to get the job at the next opportunity.

I have prepared lesson plans, have student taught but not the regular amount of time. I thought the 2 years of subbing would help me with that student teaching part.

I am getting enrolled in Master in Ed. Program. However, I am not sure I can hold out much longer. I might get pulled back into the corp world since I have job options and need to make a living and I have sub / taught for 2 years.

I am trying to regroup, but I am still very mad, and don't understand!

Thanks for helping me out here.

Mark

special gurl

Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

When I spoke with a principal at a prestegious school, I asked him what do you look for and how can I get hired. He said subbing is no gaurantee for a job. He said there is nothing like having your own class. He wants his teachers to have the most experience possible. Hope this helps!!!
special gurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Zenna

Re: still no job : Why can't I get a teaching job
Old 08-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I can't help you here Mark. I feel the same way. I am beginning to wonder if my age has something to do with my not getting a job. I don't look that old. I know three other people who are in a similar situation, and they are excellent instructors. One has just finished student teaching, so I am beginning to think that pay level isn't the whole picture here. I have been teaching for 14 years, messed up and left a tenured job for one in I thought was in a better school. I ended up resigning, and have interviewed for a ton of jobs and am still sitting here flipping out because I don't have a job. I am a licensed Science teacher, and can teach k-6, plus I will have my MA in mathematics by December 2007. Everywhere you look there are job openings for these hard to find teachers, and I am being passed over after getting called in for the interview. Most have been very positive, and I believed I had the job, (we'll get back with you after we check your references). After this, no more phone calls. I do believe that my former principal is blacklisting me, and I don't know how to prove this. This is personal, not a performance issue.
Zenna is offline   Reply With Quote

markmdfw

Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I hear about that happening, I heard about it from HR people, its a small educational world, HR can also blacklist you if you bother them to much. Usualy its with in the district though. I wish you luck..

I interviewed today for a teaching job, I made enough calls to get one more interview. Hope I landed it. will know soon.
Good luck to you and all. Highly Competitive!
Mark

mehtarm

Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

mark-
this will be my second year teaching at the elementary level (2nd grade) is that what you are certified in? heres a piece of advice and just to let you in on something. for elementary THERE ARE TONS OF APPLICANTS and few job openings. being EOE districts are required to post openings for postitions when in reality they may have already decided on the candidate they want (this actually what a few prinicpals told so i'm not making this up) the person selected may be a student teacher, a sub, long term sub, or para in the district and districts usually look at them first if they have performed well before looking outside. even if you have performed well they may not take you (politics always get in the way) maybe you should get certified in an area like SPED or ESL or even middle school or high school that may improve your chances (especially math and science) have you thought of charter schools?
i suggest you look for a para position (are you from NJ?) also keep looking on distrcit websites (they often post) and sometimes there are long term sub openings in jan. (i got mine last year for oct-june)
mehtarm is offline   Reply With Quote

markmdfw

Old 08-15-2007, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks for all the comments, support, and well wishes. I am still getting interviews and I got positive feedback from some interviews, They just went to experience people, and have got one job interview decision pending (No offer yet)

I have 2 more interviews this week. So things are still possible.

Hope is alive again.

Everyone Be Well!
Mark