Fifth Grade

Books similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid for 5th

>

euroteacher

Books similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid for 5th
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I have a student who loves reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I know this book is below 5th grade level and was wondering if anyone could suggest a similar book that is more challenging.

euroteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think every kid in my fifth grade class read all of the diaries of a Wimpy Kid this year. I am sure there will be many knock-off books out soon. However, I really can't think of any that have that format that are more challenging. You might try The Invention of Hugo Cabaret(sp)- just because it is very visually appealing. Some of my boys love the Bone series, but they are really comic books. Be warned, some people object to the reference to smoking and drinking that is in these books, but my parents haven't objected. Scholastic has an easier series called Comic Guy that is similar to Wimpy Kid, but not as good. The Hank Zipper series has the humor appeal, but again I really don't think they are very challenging. If he likes funny, you might also look into some of Barbara Parks books- Skinnybones, The Kid in the Red Jacket for instance.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Try this site
Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This site might help you. I went and typed in Diary of a Wimpy Kid and it gave some suggestions:

www.whatshouldireadnext.com
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

cjn

A Long Way From Chicago
Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Surprisingly, after my boys had read all of the Wimpy Kid books, they fell in love with A Long Way From Chicago-no similarities, but they are laughing out loud at some of the descriptions.
cjn is offline   Reply With Quote

megsy1182

Old 04-12-2009, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My kids love Diary of a Wimpy Kid...I just figure if they are reading and really enjoying reading I don't have a problem. However, they always get mad at me because I have stopped allowing to use these books for book reports. I am interested in finding different books for them as well that are a bit more challenging!

megsy1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
geer5

geer5

ligtning theif
Old 10-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Read the Lightning Theif.
kari

kari

Diary of a Wimpy Kid alternatives
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was wondering if Diary of a Wimpy kid is more so the reading level of grade 2. My 7 year old son, my only child so I don't know what to compare with, read each of the books within 3 days on his own. I was surprised that they were in the bookstore in the 9-12 year old section...where other books are clearly beyond him.

For those of you looking for similar books, I found some on Amazon that I think my son might like - a series by Andy Griffith.
Just Joking
Just Annoying
Just Whacky
etc.

There is also a parody out called , "Diary of a Stinky Dead Kid' from the Tales from the Crypt Series by John Lansdale

Hope this helps!

Suezie

Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

According to scholastic, the Wimpy Kid series should be perfect for a grade 5 reading level~~~ even if it looks corny. I think there are some puns/jokes that maybe a 10 year old gets compared to a 7 year old. My son also read high level books when he was in grade 2 but I realized that his comprehension was at the surface level and he didn't always pick up the deeper meaning of the text.

http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw...t=2019&Ne=1314
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote
wonroseshy

wonroseshy

Books read easy, but are for older kids
Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have all the Wimpy Kid books but after my 2 older boys read them (one in 2nd grade, one in 3rd) I read the original book myself and was upset by the content. Though the words may be easy to read for many 7 or 8 year olds, the humor and reference to smoking, drinking and "girls" is inappropriate for younger children. I do not recommend these books below age 10 and I wish they would stop marketing them to 1st and 2nd graders!
Daniels mom

Daniels mom

Big Nate
Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Big Nate books! The author of Diary of Wimpy Kid even says they are awesome!

bookhelp

bookhelp

Wimpy Kid Books
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My daughter is 8 years old and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book is the only book she is willing to read. Yes, the content may not be appropriate for her age but if a parent is doing their job they should have nothing to worry about. I strongly suggest this book for any age group for kids that do not enjoy reading!
ydgfdwgcug

ydgfdwgcug

Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

hi , did you read the hunger games . because i want to know if it is appropriate to a 12 years old ( 7th grade )?

thx

kamehameha

very similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

James Patterson took the opportunity of the success of A Diary of a Wimpy Kid and started his own Middle School Series. The first one is Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life. The second one comes out May7th. I forgot what it was called.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

nr7228

Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My student's love BIG Nate books more than Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I suppose it helps that my name is Nate, and I'm a bigger guy, 6'2" 240............SO it all works out.
nr7228 is offline   Reply With Quote
amom2

amom2

not a fan of Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My 2nd grade son has been bringing these home from the school library and I am less than thrilled after reading them myself...in addition to the smoking, drinking, girls there is a party while the parents are out of town...the cover up and lying...cheating on tests and work, put downs and lots of other negative stuff. Wonderful just what I want....my 2nd grader to learn to cheat from a book he got at school in 2nd grade how nice, and learn to lie to parents, that would be just great also. Why anyone lets their kids read these is beyond me. In my humble opinion they aren't great for any age let alone 2nd graders.
AJHMILLIE

AJHMILLIE

Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My 8 year old has been reading and re-reading Wimpy kid continuously. He is desperate for the next one in the series to be published!

Other authors he loves are David Walliams, Dermot Milligan (Donut Diaries Series), Barry Loser (I Am Not a Loser series), Liz Pichon (Tom Gates series) and Tom Angleberger (Origami Yoda series)

I hope this helps!