Help

Fifth Grade

5th grade social studies projects

>

catholicgreek

5th grade social studies projects
Old 08-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my second year teaching 5th grade and I was wondering if anyone had any good projects, guidelines they would be willing to share with me. I am open to everything, so please share your ideas!!

Thanks so much!!

catholicgreek is offline   Reply With Quote

WebJunkie

Projects
Old 08-26-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are some great ones that my students have enjoyed.

Potholder making- demonstrate textile mills and handmade products; we do it assembly line style and they find a rhythm that works best for them; they find that making pot holders is time consuming and hard and so they must sale their products at a higher amount; I do this with my textile/industrial rev/immigration unit

Lexicon Books- Cooperative groups think of a vocabulary word from A to Z that pertains to WWI and then they make a page in a book that contains the word, the definition, 5 facts about it, and a picture or icon

Wanted Posters- students make wanted posters for famous people of the wild wild west... then they make Epitaphs for them write before Haloween.

WW2- we read Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes; the students make a thousand paper cranes and hang from the ceiling in the hallway as a memorial to those that died via atomic bomb

teddy bears- when studying teddy roosevelt students make a teddy bear from newspaper, duct tape, and wire. they paint them in art class. Decorate them with clothes and take them home.

Got to get History Mysteries- this book has tons of cool mysteries in history such as Ameila Earhart, USS Maine, Lindberg kidnapping, etc... written like a newspaper report. Students work to create and discount common theories.

Theres lots of fun hands on projects to do with social studies. I'm just now going to have my class break up into 2 parts and do he Blue vs Grey with them giving everyone in each "army" a job to do! Should be fun
WebJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

jedgar

Blue vs grey
Old 08-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have any information you can share for your blue vs. grey army unit? Can you email it? Email at edgar_janice@yahoo.com.

Okay with that said, I do the following projects:
Native American Museum where the students research and set up a presentation board with artifacts about a particular tribe.
Colonial days where we react colonial era activities.
Explorer trading cards
Westward Expansion Games
PowerPoints
WWII ABC class books.
If you want information about one particular item, just shoot me an email.
jedgar is offline   Reply With Quote

catholicgreek

Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for all of your ideas... I can't wait to use them.
catholicgreek is offline   Reply With Quote

toniateach

I love Social Studies!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Colonial times- we do stations of different crafts/food/clothing such as making bonnets/3 pointed hats, calligraphy, horn books, etc

Civil War- Letters home. Students draw for a side of the war and a position (soldier, store owner, soldier, wife, etc) they write letters "home" about their experiences and how the war has affected them

Civil War- Wax Museum- students research important people and then dress as them and freeze while other classes visit.

Underground Railroad- make freedom quilts.

toniateach is offline   Reply With Quote

My2Girlz

Social studies projects
Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Where do all you creative teachers get your ideas from???????? Do you use a SS basal or do you make units??? I myself teach Social Studies from the basal and honestly, despise it. I would much rather create units for fifth grade, but have no idea how to begin! Social Studies is not one of the tested areas, so I would just love to get creative with it and have the students actually learn and have fun with it. Someone please pass some of your knowledge this way! Thanks so much.
My2Girlz is offline   Reply With Quote

kellihenry

Ideas please
Old 09-01-2007, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

To: jedgar
Could you explain in more detail your explorer trading cards, western expansion games, and powerpoint? I teach 5th and would love to have some new ideas.

Thanks so much!
kellihenry is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Old 09-02-2007, 01:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Where do all you creative teachers get your ideas from???????? Do you use a SS basal or do you make units??? I myself teach Social Studies from the basal and honestly, despise it. I would much rather create units for fifth grade, but have no idea how to begin! Social Studies is not one of the tested areas, so I would just love to get creative with it and have the students actually learn and have fun with it. Someone please pass some of your knowledge this way! Thanks so much.
Try these sites:

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/search.shtml (type in your topic)
http://www.proteacher.net (type topic into search)
http://www.proteacher.com/090010.shtml
wig is offline   Reply With Quote

jedgar

resources
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

http://education.iupui.edu/webquests...rers/index.htm Explorer trading cards

I participate in the Westward Ho unit found as part of Cyberbee and then students use information (travel and fates) as well as information from other resources to create a board game about moving west

As for the PowerPoint, I have them create a PPT using a timeline format. that I can email you if you send me your email.
jedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Newby1kanewby

Newby1kanewby

Old 07-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You have some amazing ideas. I am currently preparing to teach 4th and 5th grade social studies and language arts for 6 weeks. I am filling in for a maternity leave.
My theme is going to be Somewhere In Time and I want to create a time machine for my door. Do you have any ideas that might help me out?
Also any of the information that you have on your ideas that you wouldn't mind sending my way, would be greatly appreciated.

sbdancer50

sbdancer50

teacher 5th
Old 09-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Could you e me the native American museum info? Thanks in advance
Ms Kenny

Ms Kenny

Abc war book
Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach 5th grade and in the beginning of every school year I have students create an ABC WAR BOOK. I let students pick groups of 3-4 kids. (This way you know whom are friends and whom should not work together in the future.) I assign an American War to every group. The wars must be different for each group. (This way every student can learn new information during presentations.) Students need to research a fact per letter of the alphabet that represents the war and one picture per page. I give them the first marking period to complete the project.
The students love this project. Depending on the subject, you can change the theme. I taught Science and I changed it to Science related themes: solar system, ect.
Good Luck!

ancientciv

Old 12-01-2009, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just posted about our latest fifth grade project, making game boards:

http://mrsgannon.wordpress.com/2009/...a-history-lab/
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote

FriendlyT

Game Boards
Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for keeping your gameboards online. I'll be borrowing that idea next year!
FriendlyT is offline   Reply With Quote

FriendlyT

Explorer Cards
Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Great link. Thanks!
FriendlyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sandy123

Sandy123

WWII ABC class books
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would love to get more information on the WW II ABC books that you do.
i.e. project guidelines, directions, etc.
Thanks so much
Betty Shirle

Betty Shirle

WWII ABC class books
Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I need directions about the above title. thanks Betty Shirley
D Zeigler

D Zeigler

Family tree
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I use this to begin us history starting with migration from africa and we discuss the theories of where man originated. We discuss bible theory , scientific etc. I explain that we are technically all related. The students build family trees and the parents love this project.