Help

Kindergarten

100 Book Challenge

>

TeachK-6

100 Book Challenge
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone I am new to K this year and have a question about 100 Book Challenge. We are beginning our in class component and am wondering how the kids should write in the titles of books. Most of my kids can't write yet and this could get VERY time consuming if I am helping each student write in their title. The teacher I work with has them write a sight word in the blank, I am just wondering what other K teachers are doing. Thanks for your input

TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

gfarrell

gfarrell

Log Sheets in K
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi TeachK-6,

Great inquiry! As a 100 Book Challenge K teacher of 8 years, I found that with consistent MODELING and GUIDANCE up front (a few days is all it takes, really), my kindergarten students experienced success in filling out log sheets--on their own--for the rest of the school year

Here are my tried-and-true steps I went through at the beginning of every year (first week of school) that will have your kindergarten students filling out their log sheets in no time without you taking time to help every student do it!

(1) PREPARATION: Enlarge a blank 100BC log sheet or simply recreate the log sheet on a big piece of paper (all columns/rows) so all students can see.

(2) Before 100BC independent reading time, read a YY book to your class. When done, say, "I just read for 15-minutes so now I will log my step" (it's okay if you didn't read for exactly 15-mins).

(3) IT'S ALL ABOUT MODELING FIRST! Use the enlarged log sheet as you think out loud and MODEL for your students how you first write the NUMBER for the STEP you are on in the far left column. Use whatever you have hanging in your classroom with numbers...explain how you are looking at the number one (1) to see how it should look. Point out a few places where you can find the number you need (future reference for students).

(4) Next, show the column where you will write the TITLE. Think out loud and show students how you look at the cover of the text you just read to find the TITLE. Explain that you will try to write as much of the title as you can INSIDE THE BOX. IT IS IMPORTANT TO STRESS THAT YOU WILL NOT WRITE OUTSIDE OF THE TITLE "BOX". Write as much as you can. Exaggerate going slowly from the each letter in the title to writing the letter on the log sheet. Purposefully model not being able to fit the entire title (make the letters a big larger than normal) and STOP. Tell students that it is OKAY to only write a few letters or just ONE letter from the title. From this day on, expect them to try to write SOMETHING from the title. You will GET what you EXPECT

(5) If your students are still focused and attentive, you can quickly model how you fill in the date (show students where to look in the classroom and COPY the date) and color level (YY, G, etc.). For now, however, keep the focus short and sweet. Step # and Title.*

*You can take more time later this week modeling how to fill in the date and color level.

(6) Next, as you do each day, prepare students for 100BC Independent Reading time by reminding them of their FOCUS for the reading. The focus is the Common Core Standard you have been teaching. Set expectation for how long students will read (in minutes). Set the timer.

(7) Students read independently while you work 1:1 or with a small group.*

*For this log sheet practice today, you will need to have each student's log sheet ready to go on a clipboard or a small hard surface such as a small wipe-off board.

(8) When the timer goes off, it's time for GUIDED PRACTICE in filling out the log sheet (STEP # and something from the TITLE).

(9) Bring students over to the rug with their ONE favorite book (even if they read 10 books, they will each bring ONE to the rug). Have your enlarged log sheet next to you.

(10) Pass out student log sheets on clipboard. Give each student a pencil.

(11) GUIDE students slowly in finding where they will write the next step #. Use your log sheet to show how you determine where to write the NEXT #. Have students point to where they will write the next number. Move around the rug to be sure all students are "with you" and getting it. Tell students how you know which number to write...perhaps you counted out loud, and used the number line. Remind students to use charts/ other "anchors" in your room that are always available and will help as they write their STEP number. Ask students to write the next number. Encourage students to help each other. Circulate and offer support where necessary. Don't expect perfection right away. With just a few days of consistent modeling and guided practice like this, they will get it.

(12) Use the same process for the TITLE column. TAKE IT SLOW. The time you take doing this will be WORTH IT for the rest of the school year!
--Using your enlarged log sheet, remind students where the TITLE column can be found on your log sheet. Have them point to where they will write the title on their log sheet.
--Remind students of where you found your title. Have students point to their title.
--Be sure they all "got it". Offer support where necessary.
--Ask students to point to the FIRST LETTER of their title.
--Ask students to write the first letter. Circulate. Encourage students to then continue writing as much of the title as they can fit. Support, Guide, Encourage.

You should continue with the GUIDED PRACTICE in filling out the Step # and TITLE for a few days TOGETHER on the rug (with log on a clipboard). KEEP A "STATUS OF THE CLASS" RECORD SHEET SO YOU KNOW WHO "GOT IT".

Once most of the class "got it", you will no longer need to bring them to the rug to fill out log sheets after 100BC. You may need to work for a few more days with a small group until they get it. Watch as your students grow into INDEPENDENT "LOGGERS".

QUICK TIP: If you don't have one already, invest in a stamp with your name on it. Use it to "sign" each student's log sheet. Eventually, you may even choose a "stamper helper" to go around to each log sheet and stamp.

Hope this helps Please keep me posted!

TeachK-6

Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for your advice! I appreciate all the time you took to explain everything to me. I especially like the part where you said "you will get what you expect". I didn't think of it that way but you are right. Also, the tip about looking around the room for their next number was very helpful! Thanks again
TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

gfarrell, thank you for sharing. You have some excellent advice and tips listed.
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote