Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Homework question

>

TeachChicago

Homework question
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a teacher, but this is a question in regards to my daughter. She is 4 and she was sent home an assignment where she had to write lines. She did the homework in red marker. Today, when my sitter picked up my daughter, the aide said out loud in front of all the parents "_____has to redo her homework assignment because marker is unacceptable." She then wrote a note that said, "____has to redo homework. She did it with a marker not acceptable has to be with a pencil. I told them on Friday no markers only pencil. Thank you."

I am annoyed for several reasons : 1. The note is rude. 2. This "no marker" policy was NEVER explained. At open house, they did an extremely brief presentation that never mentioned homework. 3. I think it was inappropriate to call out my sitter (who didn't even help her with the homework) in front of all the other parents. I don't think the aide wants me announcing in front of everyone that her note is grammatically incorrect.

Here are my questions for other fellow prek teachers :
1. Am I overreacting?
2. Is there a reason why marker isn't allowed? (should she be learning to write with a pencil and not a marker?)

TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is IMO only. The teacher may have a reason other than mine.

Quote:
the aide said out loud
Sometimes classroom aides do not represent the teacher. Some THINK they are the teacher

Rude is rude, I would simply tell her you feel it was unnecessary and rude.
The teacher cannot tell parents EVERYTHING during an open house. I try to write down as much as I can, but it is unrealistic to expect all details during the open house.

I prefer that my kids write in pencil just to promote correct grasp. Many of my kids don't have correct grasp (all the time) and markers are often fat.

Sometimes when I am shuffling 24 students and all their needs I probably don't come off as Miss Patience. I try not to be short, but I usually have dozens of things flying through my brain. So, you certainly could tell the teacher your feelings, I would not take it that personally. I would simply do it as a matter-a-fact.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

newatprek

My two cents...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would certainly not have your DD redo her assignment. I would politely mention to YOU that for her next assignment to please do it using a pencil if that is a rule. No biggie!

I do not assign homework to my preschoolers like that.

I do assign projects for preschoolers to do with their parents from time to time but nothing I would consider to be homework.

I'm sorry this happened to you and your DD and I do not think you are overreacting.
newatprek is offline   Reply With Quote

CowTipper22

marker
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you are over reacting a bit. She could have gone about it differently, but at the same time, pick up is when you see the parents (babysitters) and it is hard to talk to them privately. Are you sure she yelled it out, or was your babysitter just feeling like that is what happened because she was caught off guard and felt embarrassed?

Did you ask your daughter about the pencil rule? If she had been told no pencil, and remembered, and then used marker, have her redo it. Next time she will remember. I tell students things all the time without telling parents. For example, I sent home a permission slip and told them if they brought it back they would get a sticker. The next day, several kids got stickers. I had a mom call me that afternoon, upset that her son didn't get a sticker. I explained that when they bring their paper they get a sticker. She said she didn't know and I should have told her.... Oh well, I told her kid and he got his sticker when he brought the paper back!

I do not send home homework, but in K, they will get homework every night and are expected to do it in pencil. The students are told this, and they stay in at recess to fix any homework they do in pen or marker.
CowTipper22 is offline   Reply With Quote

danalea10

Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well I have taught for years the majority in preschool and 4k and I have never once sent a 4 year olds homework back and told them to redo it. In fact in my opinion the only homework a 4 year old should have is some sort of family project to be worked on together- that is what I send out and then I have them share their work with the class right wrong, marker, crayon or whatever state it comes in!!! I would certainly be a little concerned about this and I would talk to the teacher about my concerns.

danalea10 is offline   Reply With Quote

danalea10

Old 12-20-2012, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

And it depends on the school what kind of homework they will get. My twins go to a very good public school and very rarely had homework in K or 1st grade they only started getting homework consistantly in 2nd grade. So I do not agree that they will start getting homework everyday in kindergarten.

Munchkins

HW in preschool?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't think they should have any kind of HW in preschool, at least none that is mandatory. For Pete's sake, they are still babies! My 1st graders get 10 minutes of HW a night, and it's a review of a skill and building good habits.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

CowTipper22

Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Danalea, I was just saying that the school I work at (the last 3 schools I was at actually) all gave the K students homework.

As a teacher, I find it frustrating when I continually have parents questioning what I do. If it was a one time thing, I would let it go. There could be a reason she is making your child re-do it.

I know I send home handwriting practice for kids sometimes. It is expected they can write their own names going into K, and now that we are almost half way through the year, I send it home so parents can work on it too, for those students who have shown little progress. I am using other methods at school as well, but practice at home wont hurt. I only send it with kids who need it. The OT person recommended the kids use crayons, so that is what I ask them to do. If they do not, I do not make them redo it, but I do give them reminders that it is what they should be doing. I see nothing wrong with having them spend 3 minutes writing their name with their parent....

I guess my point is, there could be a reason the teacher is asking your child to do this at home.

coppsma

Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I actually do not like to give homework to my 4 yo students, but I have a majority of parents at this school that think it is beneficial. What I give is usually a practice sheet of what we had learned that day or name-writing practice for the kids whose letters are barely legible. I usually only give homework two nights a week, never on the weekend. I would prefer that they use a pencil but I would never have them redo their homework.

I don't see why the aide was saying anything at all. The teacher should have just marked it "please redo in pencil as instructed during class" if it is so all-fired important. I think that if it is such a big deal, though, that the teacher should have written a reminder on the homework assignment to use pencil. If your daughter does not redo the assignment (I wouldn't expect my own child redo it) what are the consequences? It is a preschool class for goodness sakes. She did the assignment, it should be the end of it. She will have enough homework to do (and possibly redo) when she is older.
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

danalea10

Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

CowTipper is there a reason why the ot wants them to write in crayon? I have so many that need help with fine motor and writing their name!!! I have always let them write with pencil, crayon and marker depending on what we are doing but if there is a reason to use crayon I will use that more often!!!

CowTipper22

Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The crayon provides more resistance so they can feel what they are doing, I guess. I do not make everyone do it, just the ones that are struggling.

Marker is smooth and glides easily, and then they tend to do more scribbling. Or when they are trying to draw a line, they tend to make it the whole length of the page before they stop, and with a crayon they are supposed to be able to feel it more.

Also, I have heard that if you laminate a piece of paper and then write on it with crayon it is supposed to help too, but I cannot remember where I learned that. You can rub it off with tissue after they write on it..

teachwanxiety

Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm a high school teacher and don't work with students this young, but it's Teaching 101 to know that you never call a student out in front of everyone else, whether he's 5 or 15. Totally inappropriate.
teachwanxiety is offline   Reply With Quote